Default OT (boating related) Bunk carpet?

I'm new to trailered boats, and am refurbishing an old trailer to haul my
flatiron skiff. I need to replace the bunks, partly because the old ones
are really ratty and partly because I want my boat to be supported on the
chines rather than on the bottom. I figure I can use 2x6 or 2x8 mounted
flat; the boat doesn't weigh all that much (though far too heavy to
cartop), and the extra area will reduce the stress in the hull as she sits
there on her trailer (to some extent following Jim Michalak's advice in his
book on building instant boats). Anyhow: what is the difference between
bunk carpet and outdoor carpet I can get at Home Depot? Thanks.

Jim Willemin wrote:
I'm new to trailered boats, and am refurbishing an old trailer to haul my
flatiron skiff. I need to replace the bunks, partly because the old ones
are really ratty and partly because I want my boat to be supported on the
chines rather than on the bottom. I figure I can use 2x6 or 2x8 mounted
flat; the boat doesn't weigh all that much (though far too heavy to
cartop), and the extra area will reduce the stress in the hull as she sits
there on her trailer (to some extent following Jim Michalak's advice in his
book on building instant boats). Anyhow: what is the difference between
bunk carpet and outdoor carpet I can get at Home Depot? Thanks.

The bunks are there to balance the boat. In most cases, the weight
bearing support should be along the keel right back to the transom. The
ideal cushioning won't absorb water and will dry out quickly. Bunk
carpet is outdoor carpet.

"Jim Willemin" wrote in message
7.131...
I'm new to trailered boats, and am refurbishing an old trailer to haul my
flatiron skiff. I need to replace the bunks, partly because the old ones
are really ratty and partly because I want my boat to be supported on the
chines rather than on the bottom. I figure I can use 2x6 or 2x8 mounted
flat; the boat doesn't weigh all that much (though far too heavy to
cartop), and the extra area will reduce the stress in the hull as she sits
there on her trailer (to some extent following Jim Michalak's advice in
his
book on building instant boats). Anyhow: what is the difference between
bunk carpet and outdoor carpet I can get at Home Depot? Thanks.

Home Depo has Marine Carpet also.

Jim Willemin wrote:
I'm new to trailered boats, and am refurbishing an old trailer to haul my
flatiron skiff. I need to replace the bunks, partly because the old ones
are really ratty and partly because I want my boat to be supported on the
chines rather than on the bottom. I figure I can use 2x6 or 2x8 mounted
flat; the boat doesn't weigh all that much (though far too heavy to
cartop), and the extra area will reduce the stress in the hull as she sits
there on her trailer (to some extent following Jim Michalak's advice in his
book on building instant boats). Anyhow: what is the difference between
bunk carpet and outdoor carpet I can get at Home Depot? Thanks.

Make sure you use monel or stainless steel staples!

"D K" wrote in message
Jim Willemin wrote:
I'm new to trailered boats, and am refurbishing an old trailer to haul my
flatiron skiff. I need to replace the bunks, partly because the old ones
are really ratty and partly because I want my boat to be supported on the
chines rather than on the bottom. I figure I can use 2x6 or 2x8 mounted
flat; the boat doesn't weigh all that much (though far too heavy to
cartop), and the extra area will reduce the stress in the hull as she
sits there on her trailer (to some extent following Jim Michalak's advice
in his book on building instant boats). Anyhow: what is the difference
between bunk carpet and outdoor carpet I can get at Home Depot? Thanks.

Make sure you use monel or stainless steel staples!

Take a magnet to the "monel" staples at the store. Cheap *******s have
swapped boxes at times with the much cheaper steel staples.

Calif Bill wrote:
"D K" wrote in message
Jim Willemin wrote:
I'm new to trailered boats, and am refurbishing an old trailer to haul my
flatiron skiff. I need to replace the bunks, partly because the old ones
are really ratty and partly because I want my boat to be supported on the
chines rather than on the bottom. I figure I can use 2x6 or 2x8 mounted
flat; the boat doesn't weigh all that much (though far too heavy to
cartop), and the extra area will reduce the stress in the hull as she
sits there on her trailer (to some extent following Jim Michalak's advice
in his book on building instant boats). Anyhow: what is the difference
between bunk carpet and outdoor carpet I can get at Home Depot? Thanks.

Make sure you use monel or stainless steel staples!

Take a magnet to the "monel" staples at the store. Cheap *******s have
swapped boxes at times with the much cheaper steel staples.

Amazing. So some idiot will risk a misdemeanor charge to save a few bucks?

"D K" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:
"D K" wrote in message
Jim Willemin wrote:
[...]

Yup. Years ago bought a new time for the pool pump. Get it home and is a
110V unit in the 240V box. Go back and all 240V had been swapped. Some
contractor, saved $10 each on maybe 5 units.

"D K" wrote in message
Jim Willemin wrote:
I'm new to trailered boats, and am refurbishing an old trailer to haul
my flatiron skiff. I need to replace the bunks, partly because the
old ones are really ratty and partly because I want my boat to be
supported on the chines rather than on the bottom. I figure I can use
2x6 or 2x8 mounted flat; the boat doesn't weigh all that much (though
far too heavy to cartop), and the extra area will reduce the stress in
the hull as she sits there on her trailer (to some extent following
Jim Michalak's advice in his book on building instant boats). Anyhow:
what is the difference between bunk carpet and outdoor carpet I can
get at Home Depot? Thanks.

I've gone to carpet places and just tell them what I'm going to use it for
and asked what they have. They will know if that will hold up to sunlight
or water or whatever. They're usually very happy to sell pieces they would
normally throw in the trash. Which brings us to the next point. There's a
trash bin behind the local carpet store, and it is absolutely amazing what I
see in there at times just for the taking. If you go in and give them ten
bucks, they will send a guy out to retrieve it for you. At those prices,
you can replace it often.

Just a thought.........

D K wrote:
Calif Bill wrote:
"D K" wrote:
Make sure you use monel or stainless steel staples!

Take a magnet to the "monel" staples at the store. Cheap *******s
have swapped boxes at times with the much cheaper steel staples.

Amazing. So some idiot will risk a misdemeanor charge to save a few bucks?

Take a magnet to *anything* that is supposed to be Monel, Stainless,
Brass or Bronze at *any* store, *including* chandlers!

One such chandler ended up taking his entire stock of bronze snap
shackles off the rack after I brought back one that the pin had seized
after two weeks use, and I demonstrated that *every* one on the rack was
strongly attracted to the magnet I had bought with me.

Apparently someone in the supply chain had goofed or fraudulently
pocketed the difference and supplied the manufacturer with a batch of
plated steel springs.

Oddly enough I am still welcome in that chandler as he reckoned he'd
rather find they weren't fit for purpose before they were sold than deal
with the customer complaints. A rare attitude nowadays.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 07:56:04 +0100, IanM
wrote:

Apparently someone in the supply chain had goofed or fraudulently
pocketed the difference and supplied the manufacturer with a batch of
plated steel springs.

They were supposed to be stainless steel? There is a cheaper grade
that is magnetic. Diaper pins are magnetic, my refrigerator is not.

Casady

Boating related Don White General 12 January 11th 09 06:43 PM
how to fasten new bunk carpet on trailer Calif Bill General 1 March 17th 07 07:29 AM
At least it's boating related... MGG General 0 August 28th 06 05:21 PM
Boating related (Sorry!) Garth Almgren General 3 September 15th 05 06:22 AM
Really boating related Minstrum Ridcully General 0 August 16th 05 01:23 AM