Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Lower end question

Today was a blah day weatherwise, so I worked on my new used boat. Checked
the circuits, lubed some zirks, bundled some wires. Saw for some reason the
tilt has been disabled. Was looking around, and can't seem to find the tilt
pump. Not sure what type of a system the Merc Tilt uses. It's a tight fit
in there with the oil tank, carburetors, fuel pump, etc.

I decided to drain the lower end and see what condition the oil was in. I
had a pan under it for fifteen minutes, so drained it completely. The
magnetic pin was free of ferric debris.

I ended up with 8.7 fluid ounces, calculated at a 4" round container with
1.25" of depth of oil. There was no froth, no discoloration from the dark
blue hue, and no water present. I was just curious what the capacity of a
lower end unit for a Merc 40 outboard is. I believe that 8.7 oz. is
indicative that there is not a major leak in the prop bearing, although
there may be a minor one. I'll get that checked later. I'm going to put
the oil back in there along with enough to fill it up. I'll find out what
the capacity is when I do this, as I will use a large syringe and keep
track. In the meantime, I was just wondering. I have to wait till Monday
to go get some oil to fill it up.

Steve