BoatBanter.com

-   -   Transporting outboard boats (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/103778-re-transporting-outboard-boats.html)

D K[_3_] April 3rd 09 01:50 AM

Transporting outboard boats

SteveB wrote:
On the boats I have owned (3) with outboards, each had a spacer bar that
went from the trailer to the motor to hold it at a 45 degree angle during
transportation. This motor I bought has a shock absorber device with a
spring coiled around it. It goes on two pins that run through the transom
mount. This will allow the motor to flop about. If I keep and use this, I
will attach two straps to the eye bolts on the transom.

Question: How important is the bracing of an outboard during
transportation? On this long shaft, without a diagonal brace, it would ride
dangerously close to the asphalt. I have seen them that look factory made,
and those that look like they were made out of a rubber bow receiver on a
trailer. Should I make it to have a little give and bounce, or be rigid?

Help and opinions appreciated.

Steve

They are called transom savers and they are cheap insurance. I have
only seen the rigid type and it makes more sense. Try West Marine or
Bass Pro.