Default SWAGS only!

The power tilt on my '89 40hp Merc 4 banger 2 stroke doesn't work. The unit
clicks when the switch is pushed in either direction, but no up or down. In
price range for a loose wire to a full rebuild/replacement of pump, how much
money is involved? Less if I can get the parts on ebay and DIY? Is this
something a decent mechanic can do with the service manual? I can live
without the power tilt, but it sure is nice to have everything running
right.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

On Mar 16, 9:04*am, "SteveB" wrote:
The power tilt on my '89 40hp Merc 4 banger 2 stroke doesn't work. *The unit
clicks when the switch is pushed in either direction, but no up or down. *In
price range for a loose wire to a full rebuild/replacement of pump, how much
money is involved? *Less if I can get the parts on ebay and DIY? *Is this
something a decent mechanic can do with the service manual? *I can live
without the power tilt, but it sure is nice to have everything running
right.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

If it's clicking the selenoid, then I'd look at loose or corroded
wiring first. On a lot of them, the motor part of the assembly can be
easily seperated from the pump portion so you can replace the motor.
The motor and or pump may have corrosion problems also. I'd take it
apart.

wrote in message
news
On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 07:04:43 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

The power tilt on my '89 40hp Merc 4 banger 2 stroke doesn't work. The
unit
clicks when the switch is pushed in either direction, but no up or down.
In
price range for a loose wire to a full rebuild/replacement of pump, how
much
money is involved? Less if I can get the parts on ebay and DIY? Is this
something a decent mechanic can do with the service manual? I can live
without the power tilt, but it sure is nice to have everything running
right.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Did you try jumpering out the solenoid yet? Short the big terminals
with a pair of pliers. See if the motor runs.
The motor is the easy part to fix on a trim/tilt assembly if it isn't
the solenoid. It might just be the brushes. 4 screws, a cable and it
is in your hand

Was waiting for the manual, and they said they MAY send it sometime next
month. I cancelled that manual, as it was an after market, and not a real
service manual. Spent this evening getting the little 1.2 hp kicker cleaned
up. Will tackle the 40 in depth soon. Seems like a simple pump apparatus
with a solenoid. I just have to concentrate on it, and nail it down. I
just hate spending a couple of Franklins on something I can do myself with a
little time and fewer bucks.

Steve