Default Boat Ramp Etiquette

I was reading some comments about it elsewhere and got to thinking.
When/if I get to the point of launching my own boat, I'll have to
spend some time watching ramp activity before I do it myself.
Used to launch/retrieve with my buddies years ago, but I forgot
everything except how hard it was to crank the boat onto the bunks.
I think the owner was leery of backing in far enough to float it.
Oddly, I don't remember any problems pushing it off when launching.
Maybe we were stronger setting out fishing than we were when we got
back, or maybe it's just how gravity works.
I don't remember any problems at all.
But from my reading it seems the ramp is a good comedy show sometimes,
and a good drama when the hotheads get involved.
Anybody care to share some "outstanding" experiences?

--Vic
HK HK is offline

Vic Smith wrote:
I was reading some comments about it elsewhere and got to thinking.
When/if I get to the point of launching my own boat, I'll have to
spend some time watching ramp activity before I do it myself.
Used to launch/retrieve with my buddies years ago, but I forgot
everything except how hard it was to crank the boat onto the bunks.
I think the owner was leery of backing in far enough to float it.
Oddly, I don't remember any problems pushing it off when launching.
Maybe we were stronger setting out fishing than we were when we got
back, or maybe it's just how gravity works.
I don't remember any problems at all.
But from my reading it seems the ramp is a good comedy show sometimes,
and a good drama when the hotheads get involved.
Anybody care to share some "outstanding" experiences?

--Vic

Yeah, instead of standing or sitting around laughing at the foibles of
others (something turds like John Herring do...or at least tell us they
do), go over and offer to help out whoever is having a problem.

I used to single-handedly launch and retrieve my 7000-pound 25' Parker
on occasion with a bunk trailer. I did it slowly and deliberately and I
never had a problem except when there was a side wind. Then, I
appreciated it when a volunteer offered to take a line form the stern
and help hold the boat centered while I winched it up onto the trailer.

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
I was reading some comments about it elsewhere and got to thinking.
When/if I get to the point of launching my own boat, I'll have to
spend some time watching ramp activity before I do it myself.
Used to launch/retrieve with my buddies years ago, but I forgot
everything except how hard it was to crank the boat onto the bunks.
I think the owner was leery of backing in far enough to float it.
Oddly, I don't remember any problems pushing it off when launching.
Maybe we were stronger setting out fishing than we were when we got
back, or maybe it's just how gravity works.
I don't remember any problems at all.
But from my reading it seems the ramp is a good comedy show sometimes,
and a good drama when the hotheads get involved.
Anybody care to share some "outstanding" experiences?

--Vic

I back down until the truck rear tires touch water. I'm especially careful
when in salt water due to potential corrosion.
My open aluminum boat will be partially floating at this point so it's easy
to push off & control. I pull the boat next to the trailer and lift the
bow up enough to slip a couple of fenders under it. I then lay the anchor
forward on the ramp to avoid the boat floating away while I park the
truck/trailer.
With my bigger and much heavier sailboat... solo launch/retrieval was more
troublesome because the boat sat too high to float off/on.

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 22:24:49 -0400, "Don White"
wrote:

I back down until the truck rear tires touch water. I'm especially careful
when in salt water due to potential corrosion.
My open aluminum boat will be partially floating at this point so it's easy
to push off & control. I pull the boat next to the trailer and lift the
bow up enough to slip a couple of fenders under it. I then lay the anchor
forward on the ramp to avoid the boat floating away while I park the
truck/trailer.
With my bigger and much heavier sailboat... solo launch/retrieval was more
troublesome because the boat sat too high to float off/on.

In many of the boat ramp stories I see there's so much traffic the
solo stuff slows things down. But hey, if you're solo, you're solo.
What you said about not wetting the rear truck hubs gave me an idea
for a trailer though.
I don't know the exact part names so bear with me. It should be clear
enough.
The hitch is on an arm connected to the yoke/frame.
So the "hitch arm" is straight. I've seen them of different lengths
depending on trailer design and size.
What if the hitch was a telescoping tube, and once you got your back
truck tires wet you could release the telescoping lock (maybe a pin
though the tube.) and the trailer would then back down another few
feet into the water?
You could drive away from the water with it extended but collapse it
and lock it before you hit the road.
That could be real useful on steep ramps.
Might have a similar design that would be let loose on a cable(s) to
back down the ramp, then be cranked back up with a self-contained
winch. The two end parts would be designed to auto-align and snug up
stiff to be relocked. Don't know the parts names, but they use
something like that for space station docking and mid-air refueling.
This all might be overkill for a boat trailer, but might sell some.
I'm not going into business and won't put a patent on the internets,
so consider these ideas yours now.
Just invite me for a week at the tropical island you buy with the
proceeds.

--Vic

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
I was reading some comments about it elsewhere and got to thinking.
When/if I get to the point of launching my own boat, I'll have to
spend some time watching ramp activity before I do it myself.
Used to launch/retrieve with my buddies years ago, but I forgot
everything except how hard it was to crank the boat onto the bunks.
I think the owner was leery of backing in far enough to float it.
Oddly, I don't remember any problems pushing it off when launching.
Maybe we were stronger setting out fishing than we were when we got
back, or maybe it's just how gravity works.
I don't remember any problems at all.
But from my reading it seems the ramp is a good comedy show sometimes,
and a good drama when the hotheads get involved.
Anybody care to share some "outstanding" experiences?

--Vic

Vic,

Unfortunately, some can't offer advice without taking an unwarranted shot at
another, and not answer the question. You have a legitimate question that
deserves a
legitimate answer.

You are correct. Go to the ramp, and watch how the experienced guys (and
gals) are doing it. You'll learn alot. If you offer a hand (which is always
appreciated), ask questions.

The best advice I can give is to make sure you
back down far enough to wet all of the bunks, then pull back out to the
proper depth. It's a LOT easier to move a boat on wet bunks rather than dry.
I actually power my boat all the way up to the stop. You can do this w/out
revving the engine at the last second. You just need to get a feel for the
headway speed you need to do it. Many ramps frown of folks revving their
boats up to the trailer stops. It can make a mess of the bottom of the ramp,
and kick up all sorts of stuff. So, wet the bunks, and coast up as far as
you can.

Leave the boat in forward, connect the winch strap, and winch her the rest
of the way up.
Keeping the boat in forward, even at idle, will help immensely. Jump back to
the helm,
put her in neutral, and cut the engine(s).

I hope this helps.

--Mike

wrote:

[...]

I had this ideas when I ordered my custom built trailer. Originally I
wanted a hinge type tongue similar to what some major trailer manufacturers
use.
(re 20 x 12 foot garage)
The builder couldn't do that so we compromised on a larger frame square tube
with a smaller diameter tongue slipped inside with two bolts to hold the
tongue solid during use.
The idiot made it so it only added 18" to the length and I could only
enlongate or shorten it while the boat was on level ....or when the coupler
was disengaged and the tongue supported by a tongue jack.
Here you should be able to see one of the through bolts directly behind the
winch mast.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../winchmast.jpg

Vic Smith wrote:
I was reading some comments about it elsewhere and got to thinking.
When/if I get to the point of launching my own boat, I'll have to
spend some time watching ramp activity before I do it myself.
Used to launch/retrieve with my buddies years ago, but I forgot
everything except how hard it was to crank the boat onto the bunks.
I think the owner was leery of backing in far enough to float it.
Oddly, I don't remember any problems pushing it off when launching.
Maybe we were stronger setting out fishing than we were when we got
back, or maybe it's just how gravity works.
I don't remember any problems at all.
But from my reading it seems the ramp is a good comedy show sometimes,
and a good drama when the hotheads get involved.
Anybody care to share some "outstanding" experiences?

--Vic

To speed your visit to the ramp, plan for every eventuality, and have
the tools and materials to carry out those plans.

One of the most frustrating event at the ramp is not he person who is
methodically launching their boat but the person who is running around
wringing his hands because the unexpected happens.

Once we lost the nuts on the bunk board, and as I launched the boat, I
launched the bunk board. We pulled the boat to a safe place, and
retrieved the board, parked the car, and went sailing. On returning we
took the one bolt from the remaining board, tied the other end of the
board down with rope and retrieved the boat. On our way home we
stopped a Lowes and replaced the nut.

In event of the unexpected you will get more help if you look like you
know what you are doing.

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 22:55:20 -0800, "Mike" wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I have to disagree with having the engine running at all when
retrieving or launching the boat. Our local county ramp has had signs
up for a few years now showing the damage caused by the scouring
action of the propellor when the engine is in gear and pushing water.
Finally, the county has started imposing fines when folks are caught
doing it. I agree wholeheartedly with the idea.

The practice washes the sand/dirt away from the concrete end of the
ramp and even from under the ramp. Without support the ramp begins to
break off, or at the least provide a dropoff to catch trailer tires.

Wetting the bunks helps. But, that can be done with a coffee can in
about four seconds.
--
Calling an Illegal Alien an "Undocumented Worker" is like calling a
Crack Dealer an "Unlicensed Pharmacist"

John H

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:11:45 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

But from my reading it seems the ramp is a good comedy show sometimes,
and a good drama when the hotheads get involved.
Anybody care to share some "outstanding" experiences?

My advice would be to scout out the ramp in advance and watch other
people. See what works and what doesn't, particularly with boats of
about your size and weight. If you are launching by yourself
everything needs to be highly organized, preferably with a checklist.
It's very easy to forget some seemingly minor detail like tilting the
motor/outdrive up or removing the tie down straps. Do as much as you
can in the waiting area so you don't tie up the ramp longer than
necessary. Here are a few random tips:

1. Prepare to get wet and do some wading.

2. Leave your cell phone in the truck or boat. They don't like
wading (don't ask how I know).

3. Make sure the drain plug is in, a *very* common mistake.

4. Back in far enough that the boat floats on and off easily.

5. Get lots of practice in advance with backing up the trailer, both
straight line and turning both ways. It needs to become an instinct.

6. Have your dock lines ready in advance so you can tie up quickly
and go park the truck/trailer after launching.

7. Make sure your boat batteries are charged.

8. Have everything in the boat that you are going to need that day.

9. Make sure you know how you are going to get on and off the boat in
all circumstances.

10. Remember tip #3.

11. Check your brake lights and turn signals on both the trailer and
truck before hitting the road. Know how to fix them when they don't
work.

12. Remember tip #3.