P P is offline

Default seadoo challenger 1998 twin 75 rotex

Looking at a seadoo challenger 1998 twin 75 rotax, wondering what the
potential issues are.

Reason for this type of boat is;
1. Fits in my garage.
2. Has two motors - I'd like to use it on lake ontario (very very
large) so the prospect of having two separate motors is attractive
when it comes to getting home.

Apparently the hull is all fibreglass so I'm thinking the the main
issues would be the motors & drive system. Can anyone fill me in on
what to look for? I don't want to start throwing money in a hole.

Tried this once before, so will mention I'm not interested is those
the just want to slag jetboats out of some sense of moral
superiority...

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 21:05:38 -0800 (PST), P
wrote:

Tried this once before, so will mention I'm not interested is those
the just want to slag jetboats out of some sense of moral
superiority...

Like any boat evaluation, it all comes down to how you want to use it
and what your expectations are. I think they are fine for bopping
around on relatively protected water for an hour or two. Having spent
a lot of time on Lake Ontario, I can tell you that there are many days
when even a 30 ft boat is too small for comfort if you are on the open
lake. Certainly there are better boats for fishing, better boats
for rough conditions, and better boats for spending a full day on the
water. The Rotax engines put out a lot of power for their size and
weight but they are not known for longevity.

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 01:09:15 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

The Rotax engines put out a lot of power for their size and
weight but they are not known for longevity.

Rotax motors are known for drinking heavily. So are jet drives in
general. My uncle had a gasoline well, do you?[the well produced lots
of natural gas and some gasoline, pentane distills out at 98F.

Casady

the well produced lots
of natural gas and some gasoline, pentane distills out at 98F.

I did not know that! Interesting.

The newer jetboats are much more fuel efficient than in the past. I'd still
like to gace a gasoline well though g.

--Mike

wrote:

The Rotax engines put out a lot of power for their size and
weight but they are not known for longevity.

Rotax motors are known for drinking heavily. So are jet drives in
general. My uncle had a gasoline well, do you?[the well produced lots
of natural gas and some gasoline, pentane distills out at 98F.

Casady

P P is offline

I have a source for natural gas, but it's unlikely to be usable in the
rotax's. Or anywere.

Thanks for the impeller & hull tips, any other idea's how I could tell
if there are any impending repairs?

We do want it for bopping around for an afternoon here & there and
we're 5 minutes away from Bluffers. Agree there is NO boat really that
makes you comfortable on lake ontario, in short the moment the wind
picks up I'm headed for shore. Would also have a radio, and probably a
hand held one to boot along with an inflatable.

It's at a dealer - might they be offended if I bring in my own
mechanic to take a look haha?

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 17:00:12 -0800, "Mike" wrote:

the well produced lots

of natural gas and some gasoline, pentane distills out at 98F.

I did not know that! Interesting.

The newer jetboats are much more fuel efficient than in the past. I'd still
like to gace a gasoline well though g.

Is Turbocraft hull number ten in the past enough. Tenth jet boat in
the US, fifty years ago. Still have it. It went a bit over thirty with
a 109hp flathead six. Got another 500 RPM with a Buick V-6. It has
never even been in shallow water, but my dad liked novel gadgets.

Casady

"P" wrote in message
Looking at a seadoo challenger 1998 twin 75 rotax, wondering what the
potential issues are.

Reason for this type of boat is;
1. Fits in my garage.
2. Has two motors - I'd like to use it on lake ontario (very very
large) so the prospect of having two separate motors is attractive
when it comes to getting home.

Apparently the hull is all fibreglass so I'm thinking the the main
issues would be the motors & drive system. Can anyone fill me in on
what to look for? I don't want to start throwing money in a hole.

Tried this once before, so will mention I'm not interested is those
the just want to slag jetboats out of some sense of moral
superiority...

Nephew bought one a number of years back. Within the first year he needed a
$1500.00 engine repair.
Although he was able to get some kind of relief from the seller...I wouldn't
touch them.
I don't look at those things as a 'real boat'......

"P" wrote in message
Looking at a seadoo challenger 1998 twin 75 rotax, wondering what the
potential issues are.

Reason for this type of boat is;
1. Fits in my garage.
2. Has two motors - I'd like to use it on lake ontario (very very
large) so the prospect of having two separate motors is attractive
when it comes to getting home.

Apparently the hull is all fibreglass so I'm thinking the the main
issues would be the motors & drive system. Can anyone fill me in on
what to look for? I don't want to start throwing money in a hole.

Tried this once before, so will mention I'm not interested is those
the just want to slag jetboats out of some sense of moral
superiority...

No slagging jetboats here. I have an '06 Yamaha AR230HO, and love it.

Take a close look at the impellers, and the pump shaft. Just like a prop,
the impellers should have no nicks or bends, especially at the leading edge.
The pump shaft should be smooth as well. These things can easily ingest
rocks and gravel in shallow water, and the impellers are expensive to
replace. Don't ask me how I know. ;-)

Other than that, it's a boat like any other. Look at maintenance records,
check the hull throroughly for spider cracking, blisters, etc. Look for
excessive water in the bilge, and look for water where it shouldn't be.

I had a friend with the same boat, and he said it was an oversized
waverunner. Tons of fun... just small. He outgrew it, but bought another
(larger) jetboat since he loved that seadoo so much.

Good luck with the purchase!

--Mike