tom clark

Default Grinding/crunching noise when triming-Merc 90 O/B ??

When I trim my 90HP Merc up or down I hear an intermittent snapping,
grinding, crunching noise ( hard to describe). The trim pump fluid
level is fine.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Gfretwell

When I trim my 90HP Merc up or down I hear an intermittent snapping,
grinding, crunching noise ( hard to describe). The trim pump fluid
level is fine.

Are the rounded tips of the shafts in the two cylinders lubed where they rub on
the motor bracket? Is there crud built up on that mating surface?
Trainfan1

A classic symptom on this engine. It is the dry actuating rods of the
trim/tilt cylinders pushing on the rod landing pads. Keep them lubed and
your're back in business.

Rob
*
*
*

"tom clark" wrote in message
om...
When I trim my 90HP Merc up or down I hear an intermittent snapping,
grinding, crunching noise ( hard to describe). The trim pump fluid
level is fine.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Bill Kiene

Hi Tom,

Maybe you have a jet skier caught up under your outboard?

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA