Tim Tim is offline

Default What's the matter with Yamaha outboards?

I know. Probably nothing. Considering a power unit, the quesiton is
probably a personal preforance issue.

I know that for some reason Tom hates, or at least has a strong
dislike for Yamaha power, and perfers the highly technological E-
Tec's. Harry likes them as well as others.Clams was a dyed -in -the -
wool Mercury outboard guy. I've got a really nice v-4 evinrude
hanging in the garage waiting for the right pontoon deal to come
along, but am really only familiar with mercruiser I/Os.

The reason I'm asking is that there is a local guy that has a fairly
nice 1994 Bass Tracker "bass boat" with a same year Yamaha 150 2-cycle
on the back.

The pricing isn't a steal but is below book.I'd say its a good buy and
I'm kind of interested because I've wanted what I'd consider a river
boat for a while. Something cool to take up the Wabash river.

The engine is very clean with what I'd consider moderately low hours.

It can be muffed and heard run at any time.

So, what should I look for? what should I check?

pro's and cons?

yamaha dealer just 30 mi away.

Thanks!

Tim
HK HK is offline

Tim wrote:
I know. Probably nothing. Considering a power unit, the quesiton is
probably a personal preforance issue.

I know that for some reason Tom hates, or at least has a strong
dislike for Yamaha power, and perfers the highly technological E-
Tec's. Harry likes them as well as others.Clams was a dyed -in -the -
wool Mercury outboard guy. I've got a really nice v-4 evinrude
hanging in the garage waiting for the right pontoon deal to come
along, but am really only familiar with mercruiser I/Os.

The reason I'm asking is that there is a local guy that has a fairly
nice 1994 Bass Tracker "bass boat" with a same year Yamaha 150 2-cycle
on the back.

There's nothing technical behind Tom's dislike of Yamahas. I'd be leery
of buying any new so-called Evinrude product in this economy, because
new boat sales are so crappy around the country and Evinrude had such a
small market share these past few years. it would be a risky purchase.
Of these three manufacturers, Yamaha, Merc and Evinrude, the latter is
the most likely to close its doors. The older "old tech" two strokes of
any of these manufacturers are pretty much equal. The determining factor
is the availability of parts.

That '94 Bass Tracker with motor...that's a 15-year-old motor. Caveat
emptor.

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:30:01 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

So, what should I look for? what should I check?

First things first - what kind of bass boat is it? Who made it?

Secondly, Yamaha engines are perfectly fine engines - four or two
stroke. You want to do all the regular nonsense like check
compression, use a bore scope check the cylinder walls, stuff like
that. If you buy it, change the impeller, etc.

What to look for depends on the manufacturer with bass boats.

How old is it?
--

Happy Holidays and Merry Whatever It Is
That ****es Liberals Off.

On Feb 10, 2:30*pm, Tim wrote:
[...]

I dont know about Yamaha, but in the latest edition of Motor Boating,
the inboard diesels with the pod drives KILLED the E-Tecs for gas
consumption.
3 E-Techs vs. 2 Diesels, on the same boat.
Funny thing, the boat with the E-Tecs, cost thousands more.......and
got LESS mileage.
HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Feb 10, 2:30 pm, Tim wrote:
[...]

I don't see how your purchase pricing can be correct. I don't know etec
prices, but I do know a 350 hp Yamaha four stroke outboard is well under
$20,000. What's the selling price of an inboard diesel of the same
horsepower with "pod drive""?

I wonder what it costs to repair or replace that pod when you run hard
aground?

On Feb 10, 3:17*pm, HK wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 10, 2:30 pm, Tim wrote:
[...]

One who would own pods would not run aground..... I would have a depth
sounder, for sure. That would protect my investment.
My quote was a reflection of what I read. Nadda more. The engines they
used in the trail, were E-Tecs.No mention of anything else.
I thought the boat with outboards looked goofy.

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 12:02:51 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I dont know about Yamaha, but in the latest edition of Motor Boating,
the inboard diesels with the pod drives KILLED the E-Tecs for gas
consumption.

Textbook figure for specific fuel consumption is .5 lbs/HP/hr for gas,
..35 for diesel.

Casady