HK HK is offline

Default What I Don't Like...

....about many of today's computers...

WIDE SCREEN MONITORS

I don't mind wide so long as the monitor is tall, too. But too mmany
damned monitors really emphasize wide, I suppose to accommodate
displaying movies.

But that means there is less room to display a page of copy you might
have written, or the full page on a book or magazine.

Oh well..

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 08:14:19 -0500, HK wrote:

...about many of today's computers...

WIDE SCREEN MONITORS

I don't mind wide so long as the monitor is tall, too. But too mmany
damned monitors really emphasize wide, I suppose to accommodate
displaying movies.

But that means there is less room to display a page of copy you might
have written, or the full page on a book or magazine.

Oh well..

Huh?

--

Math illiteracy affects 8 out of every 5 people.
HK HK is offline

Wizard of Woodstock wrote:
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 08:14:19 -0500, HK wrote:

...about many of today's computers...

WIDE SCREEN MONITORS

I don't mind wide so long as the monitor is tall, too. But too mmany
damned monitors really emphasize wide, I suppose to accommodate
displaying movies.

But that means there is less room to display a page of copy you might
have written, or the full page on a book or magazine.

Oh well..

Huh?

--

Math illiteracy affects 8 out of every 5 people.

The vertical is compressed in favor of the horizontal.

HK wrote:
Wizard of Woodstock wrote:
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 08:14:19 -0500, HK wrote:

...about many of today's computers...

WIDE SCREEN MONITORS

I don't mind wide so long as the monitor is tall, too. But too mmany
damned monitors really emphasize wide, I suppose to accommodate
displaying movies.

But that means there is less room to display a page of copy you might
have written, or the full page on a book or magazine.

Oh well..

Huh?

--

Math illiteracy affects 8 out of every 5 people.

The vertical is compressed in favor of the horizontal.

Rotate the monitor. Any proper OS and monitor will recognize this and
adjust.

HK HK is offline

BAR wrote:
HK wrote:
Wizard of Woodstock wrote:
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 08:14:19 -0500, HK wrote:

...about many of today's computers...

WIDE SCREEN MONITORS

I don't mind wide so long as the monitor is tall, too. But too mmany
damned monitors really emphasize wide, I suppose to accommodate
displaying movies.

But that means there is less room to display a page of copy you
might have written, or the full page on a book or magazine.

Oh well..

Huh?

--

Math illiteracy affects 8 out of every 5 people.

The vertical is compressed in favor of the horizontal.

Rotate the monitor. Any proper OS and monitor will recognize this and
adjust.

Did that...works...pain in the ass flipping one way and then another.
Problem is these damned "letter box" monitors. :)

Right now, I am using the 21" monitor from my old PC desktop with my Mac
laptop. I was amazed the video chips in the Mac would drive this monitor
at its native 1600x1200 resolution, but it does and does it well. For
most apps that are not movies, though, the width on a Mac is overkill.
I'm still fiddling, though, and will find a solution that suits me.

HK wrote:
BAR wrote:
HK wrote:
Wizard of Woodstock wrote:
[...]

Think software development or circuit design where screen real estate
horizontally is king. 15 years ago my boss the Director of Ops chewed me
out for buying 19" monitors for the developers. I gave her my 15"
monitor and asked her to go trade mine for anyones 19". No takers.

On Jan 31, 8:14*am, HK wrote:
...about many of today's computers...

WIDE SCREEN MONITORS

I don't mind wide so long as the monitor is tall, too. But too mmany
damned monitors really emphasize wide, I suppose to accommodate
displaying movies.

But that means there is less room to display a page of copy you might
have written, or the full page on a book or magazine.

Oh well..

The local comp. store sells a 32 inch monitor....shall I order you one?