Default Sometimes learning is messy

I figured that $15 worth of tranny fluid was actually a cheap lesson
in how to do things right for my son. He had dropped the tranny pan
from the old Dodge Ramcharger to change the tran filter. He has never
done much mechanikin so I wondered if he would get too frustrated. He
had cleaned then pan for the new gasket but in my mind not good
enough. I was not here when he decided to put it back on or I'd have
made sure it was done right but I sorta think this is better.
We filled her with a gallon of fluid poured thru that tiny dipstick
hole and he was as happy as he could be to have transport again. He
came back an hour later telling me she was leaking like mad. I broke
the news to him that it;d have to come apart again and he took it
well. Gawd am I glad to see him doing this. I was despairing of him
ever getting any mechanical sense but now I am proud.
I think he is proud too. Listening to him telling his frirends on the
phone what he was doing I could hear a tone of "I am doing something
real" in his voice.

On Jan 29, 11:36*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Boat content = ZIP
Dork home mechanic content = 110%ensorin

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 13:30:11 -0500, Gene
wrote:

and I might note that one can gain experience from OTHER FOLKS'
mistakes as well. (And it usually doesn't hurt nearly as much....)

Funny thing is, I guided my son's first tranny pan gasket
installation.
All the normal surface cleaning, gasket placement, how to tack it
so it wouldn't move, etc.
Went perfectly.
Next time he did it, it leaked and he had to redo it.
So I think you often just have to make the mistake yourself.

--Vic

Learning from Mom and Dad Apu Nahasapeemapetilon General 0 December 31st 07 10:48 PM
Damn Messy Cans SUZY ASA 0 April 28th 06 08:12 PM
Learning to sail the USA way. ARG Tall Ships 0 March 17th 06 12:47 PM
Learning to sail the USA way. ARG General 0 March 17th 06 12:45 PM
Learning curve... Ed Edelenbos Boat Building 1 July 19th 03 02:51 PM