HK HK is offline

Default Genmar won't comment on layoffs

Boat maker won't confirm plant layoffs

By Scott Broden • Gannett Tennessee • January 20, 2009

Genmar Stratos officials refused to confirm Monday that the Murfreesboro
boat manufacturing plant is laying off employees.

A TV news crew camped out in front of Genmar Monday to report job cuts
by the Murfreesboro boat factory. But human resource manager Gary
Parsons said the corporation asked that he not answer questions related
to a Channel 4 Web site story suggesting the factory at 880 Butler Drive
was releasing workers and could shut down.

Channel 4 reported that Genmar let go of more than 60 workers Monday and
only a third of an estimated 300 workers would be left by Wednesday.

Phone messages were left for Genmar's Minneapolis-based corporate
spokesman Roger Cloutier Monday afternoon, but he was not available for
comment.

Genmar was founded in 1978 and employs 5,000 workers to make 13 brands
of recreational boats at eight factories, according to its corporate Web
page. It reported 2007 model-year sales of $1 billion.

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 21:05:30 -0500, HK wrote:

Boat maker won't confirm plant layoffs

By Scott Broden • Gannett Tennessee • January 20, 2009

Genmar Stratos officials refused to confirm Monday that the Murfreesboro
boat manufacturing plant is laying off employees.

Wouldn't surprise me - Ranger already has furloughed a couple hundred
and shut down for four weeks over the holidays. I can say with some
authority that production has slowed to a crawl - they are trying to
keep as many working as possible for as long as possible. Hydra-Sports
has cut back production drastically, although nobody has been laid off
and I heard via the rumor mill last week that Champion is toast - no
sales.

--

Time flies when you are sick and psychotic.
HK HK is offline

Wizard of Woodstock wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 21:05:30 -0500, HK wrote:

Boat maker won't confirm plant layoffs

By Scott Broden • Gannett Tennessee • January 20, 2009

Genmar Stratos officials refused to confirm Monday that the Murfreesboro
boat manufacturing plant is laying off employees.

Wouldn't surprise me - Ranger already has furloughed a couple hundred
and shut down for four weeks over the holidays. I can say with some
authority that production has slowed to a crawl - they are trying to
keep as many working as possible for as long as possible. Hydra-Sports
has cut back production drastically, although nobody has been laid off
and I heard via the rumor mill last week that Champion is toast - no
sales.

--

Time flies when you are sick and psychotic.

Triple whammy of a stinking, sinking economy, tight credit, and then add
in last year's outrageous gas prices...

[...]

A bit more gleeful news, eh Krause?
--
John H

* I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it. *