Default Is Solar Power The Immediate Answer To Our Energy Woes ?

We are looking for an across-the-board solution for our present
exorbitant consumption of gasoline and it seems as though there is
none, at least for the present. We are looking at Ethanol additive to
our present gasoline formulas, but this will only give us better miles
per gallon and of course, much cleaner bi-products with its use.
Ethanol becomes a temporary fix...at best. The reason, of course is
the need for the corn base sugars(and other similar sugar and starch
crops) to produce it. It is a simple deduction that it will eventually
begin to deplete the food stock of our nation and also hurt our
exports of these grains. We could, with the anticipated increase in
need of our corn crop, grow the extra acreage that would be needed to
meet any anticipated needs. We must keep in mind the amount of labor
that would be required to accomplish this task. The question
remains...Will the Ethanol approach keep the price below our present
gasoline prices ?
All in all, we must accept the fact that we will not be able to have
our gas and eat our corn muffins too. There are also other crops which
can be used to derive the Ethanol fuel, such as soybeans, sugar beet,
raw sugarcane, etc.. The fact still remains...the choice will be gas
for our automobiles and along with this will eventually come a vast
depletion of one or more of our key domestic and export crops. It does
not mean that this scenario will eventually come to be, but without
other renewable energy fuels developed in tandem, such as the Hydrogen
based fuel cell to assist the Ethanol fuel approach, this could lend
itself to some key food staple shortages. The final question may
be..."Do we prefer wheels beneath our feet, or food in our stomachs."
Common sense tells us that at this point in time, we must proceed with
great caution. Granted, the very large south American country of
Brazil has embarked on their Ethanol program for approximately a
decade now, with fairly good results and have enjoyed the weaning from
foreign oil. Will it ever be 100% remains to be seen....

http://groups.google.com/group/waterforfueld