Default cant lift the engine cover due to a flat battery

Hi,
I have a 2002 wellcraft excalibur 26 and the battery has gone flat
over the winter.
Usually you would pull the pin out to lift the engine cover but this
was replaced by a bolt before i got the boat.
I once saw a mechanic connect a negative jump lead on the engine block
at one end and the other to a batter. He then removed the battery
isolator cover and connected the positive here and the other end on
the battery. This gave power and lifted the engine cover.

Can someone confirm this is correct as its some time since i saw it
done? Or any other tips on how to lift engine cover?

Regards

Matt

On 22 Jan, 13:22, Wizard of Woodstock wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 05:07:58 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Hi,
I have a 2002 wellcraft excalibur 26 and the battery has gone flat
over the winter.
Usually you would pull the pin out to lift the engine cover but this
was replaced by a bolt before i got the boat.
I once saw a mechanic connect a negative jump lead on the engine block
at one end and the other to a batter. He then removed the battery
isolator cover and connected the positive here and the other end on
the battery. This gave power and lifted the engine cover.

Can someone confirm this is correct as its some time since i saw it
done? Or any other tips on how to lift engine cover?

How do you get to the engine block without lifting the cover?

Anyway...

Yeah - that sounds like it would work fine.

I'd replace that bolt with a lynch pin or something similar though to
prevent this from happening in the future.

--

Honesty is the best policy, but insanity
is a better defense.

There is one of those 6 inch plastic screw covers to get an arm in,
you can reach the engine but the battery is to far away.
Thanks for your help.

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:32:57 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

There is one of those 6 inch plastic screw covers to get an arm in,
you can reach the engine but the battery is to far away.
Thanks for your help.

So you need to have a charge in the battery to access it? That's plain
idiotic.

Casady
MMC MMC is offline

wrote in message
Hi,
I have a 2002 wellcraft excalibur 26 and the battery has gone flat
over the winter.
Usually you would pull the pin out to lift the engine cover but this
was replaced by a bolt before i got the boat.
I once saw a mechanic connect a negative jump lead on the engine block
at one end and the other to a batter. He then removed the battery
isolator cover and connected the positive here and the other end on
the battery. This gave power and lifted the engine cover.

Can someone confirm this is correct as its some time since i saw it
done? Or any other tips on how to lift engine cover?

Regards

Matt

My little solar panel the keeps the battery up on my little sailboat came
with a 12v receptical plug (cigarette lighter type plug), so maybe a trickle
charger or one of those jump start power packs (thru the 12v recep NOT
jumper cables) hooked up the same way?