Default Sitting in the bar...

On Jan 22, 7:14*am, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:
Wizard of Woodstock wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 20:45:25 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Jan 21, 11:33 pm, "Mike" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 21, 10:33 pm, wrote:

On Jan 21, 8:10 pm, "Mike" wrote:
"CM" wrote in message
. ..
"HK" wrote in message
Cohen The Barbarian wrote:
in New Haven using an open public network drinking a Diet Coke and
about to order a 1/2 lb cheeseburger with bacon, lettuce, tomato and
mayo with the delicious house fries, house salad all while waiting
for
Mrs. Wave to finish politicking and speechifying.
Ain't technology grand?
FYI: I spent the afternoon at the Yale University library and got a
chance to look through their photo collection - amazing images
there,
some unbelievable historical documents. I was awed. Spent a couple
of
hours with the one of the graduate students doing some research - a
very nice young lady who tolerated an old fart with an interest in
photography.
Good time was had by all.
Too bad you are eating...I'd recommend Pepe's on Wooster Street.
http://www.pepespizzeria.com/
Pepe's Pizza is terrible. The pizza tastes of soot, and is bland
beyond
belief.
Check out this video made from inside Pepe's and decide for yourself-
http://vimeo.com/1726324
This is one of the few times I'll agree with Harry. If you like thin
crust
pizza, Pepe's is the best on the planet. Followed closely by Sally's
down
the street. That video made me hungry for Pepe's and I'm 2600 miles
away!
The folks in the video must be Round Table Pizza fans...
--Mike- Hide quoted text -
I think Sally's shut down....- Hide quoted text -
Ooooops, scratch that... Still there...

Scared me there for a minute. When I lived there, I'd just go to Sally's if
Pepe's *(or "The spot"... same thing next door), was too busy.

Another of my favs was Bimonte's in Hamden. I know Joe died a few years ago,
but I think his place lives on. There's another Bimonte's in Cheshire, but
it's not the same.

--Mike- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, one of the big pizza places went out or retired recently, don't
remember which one.. Really though, we like Centerbrook Pizza which is
just outside Essex if we buy pizza, but the best pizza in the state by
far is Mrs. Justwaits deep dish from scratch.. I love it when we make
pizza at home, never had anythig better and I have had pizza all over
this country...

I'm a snob about pizza - I like New York style thin crust three cheese
pizza.

No toppings or if I have to, mushrooms.

Good NY Style has to have a nice char on the bottom of the crust, and
Mushroom is the only way to go. *There is a place about 2 blocks south
of Columbia Univ. that had a MONSTER size slice for next to nothing, I
think it was $1.25 a few years ago. *It must have been about 12"x18".- Hide quoted text -

New York style is the best! I hate all of those doughy thick crust
pizzas. Well, maybe not hate, but I don't consider it pizza. More like
a cassarole!

wrote:

On Jan 21, 11:33 pm, "Mike" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 21, 10:33 pm, wrote:

On Jan 21, 8:10 pm, "Mike" wrote:
"CM" wrote in message
"HK" wrote in message
Cohen The Barbarian wrote:
[...]

The best pizza of that sort I ever had was also served in New Haven, but
only for a couple of weeks, at the annual Roman Catholic Feast of the
Assumption, which was held on a spot of undeveloped land on Whalley
Avenue at the Merrit Parkway. Big festival, a carnival, actually, but
the food was made by local groups.

New Haven used to be a food taster's delight, what with all the ethnic
groups there opening and operating first-rate family restaurants. There
were two terrific deli restaurants on Whalley Avenue, right near our
high school, that were *the* weekend hot spots.

Similarly, the best local seafood samplings around here are to be had at
the annual crab festival held just outside of Annapolis, where local
groups, including restaurant, church and civic organizations, serve up
their wares in traditional recipes and fashion.

Nothing fancy, just really good food. The problem is finding a vendor
selling someting other than ****y American beer.

You do fancy Corona don't you? It's a favorite of the ladies. I'm sure
your favorite vendors would special order it for you if you ask.
WAFA- Hide quoted text -

Those Mexican beers are worse than U.S. mass produced swill. They have
to carbonate the hell out of it because it doesn't have any flavor!