Default Hard/Soft Water

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:48:20 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

Concerning the recent crash one of the TV commentators said that it was
better for the airplanes survivability that the water in the Hudson is cold
and not warm. the reason he said is that cold water is *harder* than warm
water and made for better ditching conditions.

Any truth to this.

No - cold water is less dense than warm water.

That's why ice floats.

"Tom Francis - SWSports" wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:48:20 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

Concerning the recent crash one of the TV commentators said that it was
better for the airplanes survivability that the water in the Hudson is
cold
and not warm. the reason he said is that cold water is *harder* than warm
water and made for better ditching conditions.

Any truth to this.

No - cold water is less dense than warm water.

That's why ice floats.

I guess that's why the plane is floating. 8)

This is really strange. You answered my post and my post hasn't even
appeared on my news service (Giga News)yet. I made the post 65 minutes ago.

Can you tell me what time stamp in on my original post. Thanks

hk hk is offline

D.Duck wrote:
"Tom Francis - SWSports" wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:48:20 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

Concerning the recent crash one of the TV commentators said that it was
better for the airplanes survivability that the water in the Hudson is
cold
and not warm. the reason he said is that cold water is *harder* than warm
water and made for better ditching conditions.

Any truth to this.

No - cold water is less dense than warm water.

That's why ice floats.

I guess that's why the plane is floating. 8)

This is really strange. You answered my post and my post hasn't even
appeared on my news service (Giga News)yet. I made the post 65 minutes ago.

Can you tell me what time stamp in on my original post. Thanks

Tom is an extraterrestrial. The space-time continuum does not apply to
him. But it does apply to ducks.

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 17:57:15 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

"Tom Francis - SWSports" wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:48:20 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

Concerning the recent crash one of the TV commentators said that it was
better for the airplanes survivability that the water in the Hudson is
cold
and not warm. the reason he said is that cold water is *harder* than warm
water and made for better ditching conditions.

Any truth to this.

No - cold water is less dense than warm water.

That's why ice floats.

I guess that's why the plane is floating. 8)

This is really strange. You answered my post and my post hasn't even
appeared on my news service (Giga News)yet. I made the post 65 minutes ago.

Can you tell me what time stamp in on my original post. Thanks

Giganews is screwing up. I'm seeing the same odd behavior.
Still haven't seen you original post.
I heard that guy too, and thought he was full of it.
Cold water is more dense than warmer water, which is why it sinks.
You've heard of thermoclines. I've even felt it wading in the ocean.
I don't think it makes a difference in landing a plane on it though.
Ice is an expanded state of water. Takes of more space than liquid
water. That's why it floats.
But ice is harder than water. At least I think it is when I fall and
my ass lands on it. Doesn't hurt when I fall the same distance into
the water.
Diamonds are real hard, and are forever.
BTW, I'm not a scientist.

--Vic

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Methinks you are wrong. Ice floats on water. The process of freezing is a
strange one.
First it contracts, then it expands and breaks water pipes.

Eisboch

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 18:14:32 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

So what am I wrong about? The diamonds?

--Vic

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 18:14:32 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yup, diamonds burn.

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
[...]

You're absolutely correct. Water is unique in this aspect. As water cools,
it becomes more dense, contracts, and sinks... until it reaches 38ºF. As it
cools further from there, it becomes less dense, expands, and rises to the
surface. This is why ice floats, and engine blocks crack.

--Mike

"D.Duck" wrote in message

"Tom Francis - SWSports" wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:48:20 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

Concerning the recent crash one of the TV commentators said that it was
better for the airplanes survivability that the water in the Hudson is
cold
and not warm. the reason he said is that cold water is *harder* than
warm
water and made for better ditching conditions.

Any truth to this.

No - cold water is less dense than warm water.

That's why ice floats.

I guess that's why the plane is floating. 8)

This is really strange. You answered my post and my post hasn't even
appeared on my news service (Giga News)yet. I made the post 65 minutes
ago.

Can you tell me what time stamp in on my original post. Thanks

I think it's Giganews. Same thing here. I posted a response shortly after
Tom and it never showed up, yet he answered it.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"D.Duck" wrote in message

[...]

If you ever see this, here is the reply I got from Giga News when I inquired
about poor performance. I think it's something else beside "heavy posting".

Thank you for contacting Giganews Technical Support!

Due to very heavy posting, the speed with which posts are propagating has
decreased. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. The post
speeds should be back to normal shortly.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

--
Jonathan
Giganews Support