Default Bailout mania...

wrote in message
On Dec 16, 12:16 am, "Canuck57" wrote:
wrote in message

news
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 23:06:30 -0500, BAR wrote:

Chrysler should have been left to go bankrupt back in 1980. If it
wasn't
for the M1 Abrams the government never would have stepped in.

Maybe, but then the government would have missed out on the $335 million
profit they made on the $1.5 billion loan guarantee.

Today has 2 major differences.

First, $1.5 billion is about the burn rate for GM, Chrysler and Ford in 1
week! It is estimated for GM alone, $75 to 125 billion is needed for
solvency and sustainability. Assuming Chrysler needs about the same and
say
$50 billion for Ford, further assuming their numbers are accurate and not
cooked they collectively need $250 billion. And that is if they instantly
fix the problems, which historically, it is like investing in NorTel. By
the way they too need a bailout. That is about $1250 out of each middle
class workers pocket. 2-3 car payments for cars they don't own. Oh, and
parts suppliers like JCI and Magna, extra.

Second, what do you do with the other 98% of the people and businesses out
there? Screw them with $1250 more taxes? The last points bill must be paid
or the next loaf of bread might as well cost $1000. You can't print out of
debt on this scale without at least a working generation of recession.
Keep
in mind, government revenue is going down at an alarming pace. The war in
the middle east will not end with peace, it will end in bankruptcy of the
government and currency itself.

North America can no long afford these dogs. Will make some good case
study
for Harvard and Yale is the only redeeming value GM and Chrysler has left.

This is going to come down to American bankruptcy into the currency.

Said it before, so did several others. Give us middle class folks a
voucher to help pay for a new car. We get a bailout, GM gets to sell
cars, then put folks to work building new ones.... But the Union
doesn't want that, it would mean they would have to go back to work to
get the money...

You are freekin' unbelievable!
In one breath you whine about getting a free handout so you can buy a new
vehicle and in the next, badmouth the hard working uniom man for expecting
to get money without working. What makes you so special?

wrote in message

[...]

JustHate is an important man...he runs a boat-building company that
doesn't build boats and a motorcycle racing team that doesn't race
motorcycles.

wrote in message

[...]

If I received a voucher I wouldn't buy a GM or Chrysler. I would buy a
Ford, Toyota, Honda or Nissan.

Depends on the size of the voucher. I'd buy another GM pickup if the
voucher were big enough to overcome my doubts about future warranty
service.
--
John

wrote in message

[...]

A voucher might be worthwhile if its use were restricted to high-mileage
vehicles with a certified "manufactured in the USA or Canada" content
of at least 90%. Not assembled...manufactured.

I see no reason to subsidize purchases of products produced overseas.

wrote in message

[...]

I wouldn't use the voucher if I was forced to purchase a vehicle I would
not normally purchase. A cheap headache is still a headache.

Jim Jim is offline

wrote in message

[...]

Then why subsidize the assemblers of products produced overseas?
I notice that you include Canada but exclude Mexico. What's up with
that, Dude?

BAR wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

I wouldn't argue that point, but...the purpose of such a voucher is to
help the U.S. auto industry. You don't help the industry by buying goods
whose most expensive pieces and parts are made overseas.

I rent different cars on business trips. Since I am usually traveling on
some union's business, I rent "American cars" built by the Big Three. I
try to alternate, but I've sort of kicked GM off the list entirely. I've
been disappointed by something substantial on each GM car I've rented
over the years. The Fords have been fine, and so have the few Chrysler
products that have been readily available at my destination.

I rented a nice Ford Exploder on my last trip to Boston a month or so
ago. There was nothing about the car I didn't like, and it only cost me
$38 a night (holy schitt!) to park it in the hotel's garage.

Jim wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

They aren't UAW members.

wrote in message

[...]

I'd buy a Dodge/Cummins- Hide quoted text -

Amen, I love my Dodge truck!

"Boater" wrote in message
wrote in message

[...]

I heard he races that new bike around the kitchen table.

Where's my bailout Frogwatch[_2_] General 49 November 17th 08 11:47 PM
UAW bailout Charles Momsen ASA 3 November 13th 08 07:52 PM
Bailout? Charles Momsen ASA 3 October 6th 08 01:37 PM
Bailout question Charles Momsen ASA 0 September 29th 08 02:36 AM
Another 150 billion bailout! Charles Momsen ASA 0 September 25th 08 03:57 PM