Default Photoshop CS4 Extended...

Adobe has a free thirty day trial offer on the full version of
Photoshop CS4 Extended if you are interested in trying it out.

On Dec 9, 4:32*pm, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:
Adobe has a free thirty day trial offer on the full version of
Photoshop CS4 Extended if you are interested in trying it out.

How do you like it? Is it intuitive? Workflow suck?
Did you try GIMPshop that someone offered up here?

wrote:
Adobe has a free thirty day trial offer on the full version of
Photoshop CS4 Extended if you are interested in trying it out.

How do you like it? Is it intuitive? Workflow suck?

It's interesting. Adobe has their own way of doing things and it
isn't always "intuitive" in an open it up and go kind of way. However,
the 3D rendering is unbelievable once you can wrap your brain around
how they do things.

As to editing - can't beat it. There are cheaper programs out there -
notably PaintShipPro XI which has a lot of the same functions and
functionality. I've used PSP for years - since their very first
shareware version when they were JASC, but their recent iteration
****ed me off because it was exactly the same as the previous version
- they just changed the workflow a little. And it doesn't have a lot
of the plugins that Photoshop has available.

From what I've been able to determine, there's a lot more to PCS4 to
explore and tinker with and I really like to automated features for
tonal mapping and HDR.

I don't care for Lightroom at all, but I use it occasionally. I think
Elements as a base editor is much better than Lightroom - they are
practically the same program.

Did you try GIMPshop that someone offered up here?

Yeah, but it doesn't process RAW images as far as I can tell. I tried
it on a few .jpegs and it does a good job - you can do a lot with it,
I just don't think it's the same caliber as Photoshop or PSP.

I like Infranview as a quickie "take a look at" viewer, but it's
processing leave a little to be desired compared to the larger
programs. For the average user, I suppose it works just fine, but
anybdy who wants to get serious about working images, PSP, Photoshop
and/or Elements is probably the better way to go.

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 09:15:57 -0500, Tom Francis - SWSports wrote:

Did you try GIMPshop that someone offered up here?

Yeah, but it doesn't process RAW images as far as I can tell. I tried
it on a few .jpegs and it does a good job - you can do a lot with it, I
just don't think it's the same caliber as Photoshop or PSP.

As there are dozens of RAW formats, I think you need to add a plugin. I
know the Gimp does handle RAW images. Most people seem to agree with you
on the caliber of Gimp. It isn't Photoshop, but it is free, and quite
powerful.

wrote:
Adobe has a free thirty day trial offer on the full version of
Photoshop CS4 Extended if you are interested in trying it out.

How do you like it? Is it intuitive? Workflow suck?

It's interesting. *Adobe has their own way of doing things and it
isn't always "intuitive" in an open it up and go kind of way. However,
the 3D rendering is unbelievable once you can wrap your brain around
how they do things.

As to editing - can't beat it. *There are cheaper programs out there -
notably PaintShipPro XI which has a lot of the same functions and
functionality. *I've used PSP for years - since their very first
shareware version when they were JASC, but their recent iteration
****ed me off because it was exactly the same as the previous version
- they just changed the workflow a little. *And it doesn't have a lot
of the plugins that Photoshop has available.

From what I've been able to determine, there's a lot more to PCS4 to
explore and tinker with and I really like to automated features for
tonal mapping and HDR.

I don't care for Lightroom at all, but I use it occasionally. *I think
Elements as a base editor is much better than Lightroom - they are
practically the same program.

Did you try GIMPshop that someone offered up here?

Yeah, but it doesn't process RAW images as far as I can tell. *I tried
it on a few .jpegs and it does a good job - you can do a lot with it,
I just don't think it's the same caliber as Photoshop or PSP.

I've been playing with it a bit, and I've not seen yet where it will
process RAW either.

I like Infranview as a quickie "take a look at" viewer, but it's
processing leave a little to be desired compared to the larger
programs. *For the average user, I suppose it works just fine, but
anybdy who wants to get serious about working images, PSP, Photoshop
and/or Elements is probably the better way to go.

I think I'm going to pony up for Elements.

wrote:
Adobe has a free thirty day trial offer on the full version of
Photoshop CS4 Extended if you are interested in trying it out.

How do you like it? Is it intuitive? Workflow suck?

It's interesting. Adobe has their own way of doing things and it
isn't always "intuitive" in an open it up and go kind of way. However,
the 3D rendering is unbelievable once you can wrap your brain around
how they do things.

As to editing - can't beat it. There are cheaper programs out there -
notably PaintShipPro XI which has a lot of the same functions and
functionality. I've used PSP for years - since their very first
shareware version when they were JASC, but their recent iteration
****ed me off because it was exactly the same as the previous version
- they just changed the workflow a little. And it doesn't have a lot
of the plugins that Photoshop has available.

From what I've been able to determine, there's a lot more to PCS4 to
[...]

==================================

Google: gimp raw plugins

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 15:47:01 -0500, D.Duck wrote:

Google: gimp raw plugins

Or, just go he

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

D.Duck wrote:

I think I'm going to pony up for Elements.

==================================

Nothing wrong with Elements.

I use Picasa to sort and view photos on my PC. You can also make minor
edits with it.

I have CS4...it reminds me of MS WORD...too many features I will never use.

I've got Nikon CaptureNX2 on my PC and MAC and I like it a lot better
than Photoshop.

But I use Aperture on my MAC mostly to flow and process photos. I took
300+ photos on my recent business trip to Boston, visited the client
last week, and used Aperture as a "light table" to sort them and pick
the 15-20 we'll be putting into a special publication. Grey skies both
days...unfortunately. Aperture is fairly easy to learn, does a lot, and
seems to run and save faster than Photoshop CS4.

In fact, it is one of the major reasons why I want to sell my PC desktop
machine or, perhaps, turn it into a server.

"D.Duck" wrote in message

Google: gimp raw plugins

That reminds me. I downloaded and installed Gimp to try it out and it (or
something associated with the install process) totally screwed up my
computer. It screeched to a near stop, s l o w l y going through the
motions of closing applications, etc.

I did an uninstall of Gimp, and the computer went back to normal.

Eisboch