Default Interesting visitor....

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 11:27:14 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

I think the Sheffield was mostly steel and the aluminum in question was a
high magnesium content alloy. Aluminum does not burn, but does lose
strength at about 500 degrees and melts at 1500 degrees. The Sheffield did
not have vertical fire barriers as American ships do.

Aluminum not burn? It is the fuel in firecrackers.[potassium
perchlorate is the oxidizer] Do not hold in hand! Steel also burns,
and is also used as a fuel in fireworks. Both metals are very
difficult to ignite in thick sections but they will burn. It is common
for aluminum airplane fires to burn most of the metal as well as the
kerosene.

Casady

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 12:07:32 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Use steel in the places you need strength.

You mean that's why airplanes use so very little of it?
Funny, I thought planes needed to be sturdy.

Casady

Airplanes are safe because they are flexible and allowed to move within
their yield. The sturdiness is
a result of monocock frame design.

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote:
"Richard Casady" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 12:07:32 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Use steel in the places you need strength.

You mean that's why airplanes use so very little of it?
Funny, I thought planes needed to be sturdy.

Casady

Airplanes are safe because they are flexible and allowed to move within
their yield. The sturdiness is
a result of monocock frame design.

Eisboch

Are you referring to Monocock Lewinsky?

Or her sister, Monocoupe?

wrote:

I think the Sheffield was mostly steel and the aluminum in question was a
high magnesium content alloy. Aluminum does not burn, but does lose
strength at about 500 degrees and melts at 1500 degrees. The Sheffield
did
not have vertical fire barriers as American ships do.

Aluminum not burn? It is the fuel in firecrackers.[potassium
perchlorate is the oxidizer] Do not hold in hand! Steel also burns,
and is also used as a fuel in fireworks. Both metals are very
difficult to ignite in thick sections but they will burn. It is common
for aluminum airplane fires to burn most of the metal as well as the
kerosene.

Casady

But with normal air as the oxidizer is a lot harder to burn. The kerosene
or gasoline in a plane fire adds a lot of extra heat. The Sheffield
Aluminum that did burn was a high Magnesium content alloy.

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 20:56:51 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I think the Sheffield was mostly steel and the aluminum in question was
high magnesium content alloy.

Probably no more than 5%. The stuff, and copper as well, harden
aluminum as carbon hardens iron.

Casady

Won't be any copper to speak of in aluminum exposed to sal****er.

They make some outboard motors from beer can scrap. Nearly pure
aluminum, for corrosion resistance.

Casady

50xx and 60xx series alloys. 50xx with more flexibility in forming and 60xx
for more strength.