Default Losing a friend.

I lost a friend...

We had to put Casper down yesterday. He was my wonderful pure white cat.

Casper was 22 years old, and he had a great life, once he adopted us 14
years ago in Florida.

He belonged, sort of, to a neighbor across a backyard fence who provided
him with a mean existence. The neighbor left him outside, day and night,
winter and summer, and sometimes without water or food. Casper was big
and tough, an alpha male, and he was frequently challenged by other
outdoor cats. He usually won the fights.

He wandered into our yard at one point, and came to the back door. My
wife gave him a meal and some water, which he wolfed down. A few days
latter, he saved the life of a kitten we were trying to get inside to
rescue. Another cat was about to kill the kitten. Casper drove the
attacker off.

Casper wandered into our garage. We set up a bed for him there, and
provided food and water, but left the garage door open a little so he
could come and go as he pleased. He seemed to be an outdoor cat and we
didn't want to change his life.

One day, the neighbor came looking for Casper, saw him sleeping in our
garage, and took him "home."

Twenty minutes later, Casper was back in our garage. I guess the
neighbor gave up, because we never saw him look for "his" cat again.
I felt no guilt at our "alienating the affections" of someone else's
cat. My feeling is that if you don't take proper care of your pets, you
don't deserve to have their presence.

The seasons were changing, it was getting cold, so we took Casper to the
vet for a checkup and shots. The vet said he was seven or eight years
old at that time. Casper moved indoors with us and lost all interest in
going outside. As with our other pets, the only time he was "outside"
was when he was taken to the vet for an annual checkup.

He was a wonderful, loving cat, a "great kisser," according to all the
ladies, a good companion and a loyal friend.

Casper had a good life. He lived a heck of a long time for a cat, and
really enjoyed his life of ease and comfort. At the end his liver
failed, the vet said there was nothing more to be done, so, to prevent
further suffering, we had him put to sleep.

I think the only thing worse than losing a spouse or a child is losing a
pet you loved.

If there is a cat heaven, Casper is up there, selecting his harem.

Here's a snap of my three guys, Casper on the left, on their catbed
couch, now, sadly, down to two guys:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0/62082de8.jpg

On Nov 26, 12:28*pm, Boater wrote:
[...]

Anyone else, and I would serve up my condolences. But, because you've
been such a prick to so many, life goes on.

[...]

Sorry about your cat. We have a cat next door to us at our lake house
that wants to adopt us. But we're only there on weekends and
occasional long weeks during the summer. But he often hears us drive
up and comes running over. Very friendly with everyone so I think
he's mostly ignored by his owners. I've started keeping some cat food
for him out there. As long as we're there he'll hang out in our yard
or sleep on our deck. Follows me around when I do yard work. We rent
a few weeks during the summer and we've had a number of renters that
also had him hang around and said he is a great cat.

"Boater" wrote in message

I lost a friend...

We had to put Casper down yesterday. He was my wonderful pure white cat.

It's amazing how attached one can become to a pet dog or cat.
They don't ask for much and are loyal no matter how much of a jerk the owner
is.

My sincere condolensces.

Eisboch

On Nov 26, 1:41*pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
"Boater" wrote in message

I lost a friend...

We had to put Casper down yesterday. He was my wonderful pure white cat..

It's amazing how attached one can become to a pet dog or cat.
They don't ask for much and are loyal no matter how much of a jerk the owner
is.

My sincere condolensces.

Eisboch

Gawd...the two remaing look just like the 2 of 6 I have. 1 is feral,
and I'd love to play catch with dip****pic with him.

Pay no attention to asswipe loogywaitaminuteherring...he's most likely
got a Pot-Bellied Pig for a pet....or spouse.

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:28:23 -0500, Boater wrote:

[...]

Sorry about your cat, Harry. When we put our last cat down, with a stomach
tumor the size of an egg, I bawled like a damn baby.

It *is* possible to get very attached to a cat, even though us 'manly'
types hate to admit it.
--
John H.

wrote:
[...]

Cats are great pets.

Eisboch wrote:
"Boater" wrote in message

I lost a friend...

We had to put Casper down yesterday. He was my wonderful pure white cat.

It's amazing how attached one can become to a pet dog or cat.
They don't ask for much and are loyal no matter how much of a jerk the owner
is.

My sincere condolensces.

Eisboch

Thanks. It's tough. Casper had a really high quality, long life with us,
for which I am grateful. He would have been long dead had he "stayed"
with his irresponsible original owner in Florida.

JohnH wrote:
[...]

Thanks. This particular cat was one of my favorites of all time,
probably because of his hard early life and how quickly he adopted us.

must be losing it Frogwatch[_2_] General 3 November 16th 08 03:54 PM
We may be losing our right to- Jim General 2 November 4th 08 12:39 AM
Losing the War? NOYB General 23 May 13th 04 12:51 PM
bob, you're losing....... Scott Vernon ASA 0 May 10th 04 04:36 AM
Losing a Rig? Bobsprit ASA 15 November 26th 03 08:33 PM