Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
DK DK is offline

Default What a kid!

wrote:
On Nov 20, 12:52 pm, Boater wrote:
Six-year-old girl saves little brother in a cliffside car accident
Updated: 11/20/2008 9:13:07 AM

A six-year-old Washington state girl is being called a hero after
protecting her little brother when the van they were in went over a cliff..

Katherine Whitman says "I was supposed to be at Brownies."

But six-year-old Katherine Whitman gets a night off and she deserves it.

Katherine's mother, Sue, says "the mirror was actually hanging down. It
put this major dent in it there."

Her mom's minivan bears the scars of a rough Tuesday morning.

Sue says "Kurtis was sitting right here in his seat. And she was sitting
over here."

With the van running, mom ran inside to drop off the newspaper, seconds
later the van started rolling backwards so Katherine unbuckled her
seatbelt and moved up front.

Sue says "she says she tried to turn the wheel so it would go this way
into the field. But she said it just kept right on going this way. She
jumped back in her car seat, put her seatbelt back on, took the blanket
that was in the back and threw it over her and her brother to protect
them from any glass. And by the time she did that, it was already here."

50 feet down the hill next to the South Toutle River.

Katherine climbed out, grabbing onto branches and bushes, as she scaled
the cliff.

Sue says "she came whipping into the house - mama there was an accident.
So I came out. No van!"

Mom ran to the edge of the cliff.

Sue says "all I could see was headlights and the front of the van."

A neighbor climbed back down and rescued 18-month-old Kurtis.

Not a single scratch on him, thanks to his big sister.

Sue says "whe said, no I wasn't thinking about myself, I was thinking
about my brother. I'm still crying at night. I didn't sleep hardly at
all last night. All I can think of is how lucky I am to have such a
smart little girl to do what she did."

A little girl who will always be a hero in her little brother's eyes.

(Copyright 2008 by NBC. All Rights Reserved.)
All Material Copyright 2008 KARE-11. All Rights Reserved.

I'll bet HER parents didn't keep her in a sealed room away from all
danger. She seemed to be able to know when she's in danger, and act
accordingly.

Go easy on WAFA. He's being a good boy since his personal info was
released.