Default Use of complete sentences stirs controversy

Obama's Use of Complete Sentences Stirs Controversy

In the first two weeks since the election, President-elect Barack Obama
has broken with a tradition established over the past eight years
through his controversial use of complete sentences, political observers
say.

Millions of Americans who watched Mr. Obama's appearance on CBS's 60
Minutes on Sunday witnessed the president-elect's unorthodox verbal
tick, which had Mr. Obama employing grammatically correct sentences
virtually every time he opened his mouth.

But Mr. Obama's decision to use complete sentences in his public
pronouncements carries with it certain risks, since after the last eight
years many Americans may find his odd speaking style jarring.

According to presidential historian Davis Logsdon of the University of
Minnesota, some Americans might find it "alienating" to have a president
who speaks English as if it were his first language.

"Every time Obama opens his mouth, his subjects and verbs are in
agreement," says Mr. Logsdon. "If he keeps it up, he is running the risk
of sounding like an elitist."

The historian said that if Mr. Obama insists on using complete sentences
in his speeches, the public may find itself saying, "Okay, subject,
predicate, subject predicate -- we get it, stop showing off."

The president-elect's stubborn insistence on using complete sentences
has already attracted a rebuke from one of his harshest critics, Gov.
Sarah Palin of Alaska.

"Talking with complete sentences there and also too talking in a way
that ordinary Americans like Joe the Plumber and Tito the Builder can't
really do there, I think needing to do that isn't tapping into what
Americans are needing also," she said.

Andy Borowitz is a comedian and writer whose work appears in The New
Yorker and The New York Times, and at his award-winning humor site,
BorowitzReport.com.

Jim Jim is offline

Belay my last. This should make more sense.
Krause does have a funny bone. Unfortunately Obama's grammar is wasted on
Boater wrote:

Obama's Use of Complete Sentences Stirs Controversy

(Cut and paste stuff removed)

Boater wrote:

Obama's Use of Complete Sentences Stirs Controversy

(Cut and paste stuff removed)

I still cringe every time I hear Bush speak. To me, he always sounds as
if he is reading a script he doesn't understand. Obama sounds a hell of
a lot better to me. I hear him and I think..."smart." Proper use of
language is an important asset for the leader of the free world.
Jim Jim is offline

Boater wrote:

Obama's Use of Complete Sentences Stirs Controversy

(Cut and paste stuff removed)

I still cringe every time I hear Bush speak. To me, he always sounds as
if he is reading a script he doesn't understand. Obama sounds a hell of
a lot better to me. I hear him and I think..."smart." Proper use of
language is an important asset for the leader of the free world.

You should play a Bush tape from 2000 along side one from 2008. He's
doing much better.

I hope Obama is more than a one trick pony. There is a lot more he needs
to show us before I am comfortable with him. Make some REAL headway
against the terrorists and resist the temptation to bail out every
failing business that claims the economy can't recover without them. He
promised a fresh start. Let him start proving it. I see same ole same
ole so far.

Tim Tim is offline

On Nov 20, 2:04*pm, Jim wrote:

He promised a fresh start. Let him start proving it. I see same ole same ole so far.

i wish him all the best too. I dont' see how he plans to accomplish
even a third of what he's promised, but I do wish him well.

But concernign the "same ol' same ol" i am wondering about that.

could it be of his chosing and re-apointing of the Clintonista
cartel?
Tim Tim is offline

Boater wrote:

Obama's Use of Complete Sentences Stirs Controversy

(Cut and paste stuff removed)

I still cringe every time I hear Bush speak. To me, he always sounds as
if he is reading a script he doesn't understand. Obama sounds a hell of
a lot better to me. I hear him and I think..."smart." Proper use of
language is an important asset for the leader of the free world.

you might be on to something there, Harry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDJSVPAx8xc
Jim Jim is offline

Tim wrote:
Boater wrote:
Obama's Use of Complete Sentences Stirs Controversy
(Cut and paste stuff removed)

I still cringe every time I hear Bush speak. To me, he always sounds as
if he is reading a script he doesn't understand. Obama sounds a hell of
a lot better to me. I hear him and I think..."smart." Proper use of
language is an important asset for the leader of the free world.

you might be on to something there, Harry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDJSVPAx8xc

Tim, shame on you. ;-)