Default Carrot clarinet....

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:52:27 -0800, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Nov 17, 9:28 pm, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:
Ok, I'll admit it - this is WAY cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWbj7FYEi3M

I have an inclination to call bull**** on this one. I played woodwind
instruments and the length of this instrument vs the pitch don't add
up. It's been a while but I think the pitch would be higher. Of
course, in theory I can't see why it wouldn't work, just not sure
about this one...

Recorder of that length is not much different in pitch.

If you watch the whole performance, it's clear that the microphone is
connected to a sequencer and digital processing. I have Adobe Audition
Version 3 for recording on my PC, and fixing pitch problems or even
changing the key entirely is very simple. Its not hard at all to make
an out of tune violin into a perfect cello.

wrote:
Ok, I'll admit it - this is WAY cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWbj7FYEi3M

I have an inclination to call bull**** on this one. I played woodwind
instruments and the length of this instrument vs the pitch don't add
up. It's been a while but I think the pitch would be higher. Of
course, in theory I can't see why it wouldn't work, just not sure
about this one...

Recorder of that length is not much different in pitch.

Skeptic.

See, that's what's wrong with the universe in the age of the
innertubes.

Nothing is ever acceptable just as it is.

The guy is a performance artist, has a huge national reputation in
Australia (which can be found on a simple Gaggle search (I refuse to
use the NAME THAT MUST NOT BE SPOKEN)) and builds odd and curious
musical instruments.

And it's not like you can't build instruments out of anything. How
many of us who are musically inclined sat at our corporate desks and
built something out of paper clips and rubber bands? I have in
particular on a slow Friday afternoon.

I mean, you can make music with anything.

Plus, that's a freakin horse carrot.

~~ sheesh ~~

You guys need to open up your minds a little.

~~ mutter ~~
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:
Ok, I'll admit it - this is WAY cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWbj7FYEi3M

I have an inclination to call bull**** on this one. I played woodwind
instruments and the length of this instrument vs the pitch don't add
up. It's been a while but I think the pitch would be higher. Of
course, in theory I can't see why it wouldn't work, just not sure
about this one...

These work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muAVDW4BLYQ

This appears to be an X rated video. Probably Krause playing the skin flute.
RG RG is offline

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"RG" wrote in message

wrote:
Ok, I'll admit it - this is WAY cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWbj7FYEi3M

I have an inclination to call bull**** on this one. I played woodwind
instruments and the length of this instrument vs the pitch don't add
up. It's been a while but I think the pitch would be higher. Of
course, in theory I can't see why it wouldn't work, just not sure
about this one...

I also find it hard to believe that the holes he arbitrarily drilled in
the sides resulted in it being
in perfect pitch with the synth.

Nope. I also call BS.

Eisboch

Oh, and there was no synthesizer. It was a sequencer. All the sequencer
does is record and playback a loop of what is fed into it. The only
thing the carrot was in tune with was itself.

RG

*That* explains it. Ok. It works. Just don't try playing it with a
piano.

Don't forget...you can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

RG

"RG" wrote in message
m...

Don't forget...you can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

RG

Speaking of tuna ... hmmmm... I mean tuning.

As an amateur (very) musician I have become much more proficient in playing
in different keys on the guitar than I have on the keyboard. To solve
this, I record the keyboard stuff in midi playing virtually everything in
the key of C or Cm. Then, I load the midi file into either Cakewalk or
another very simple (and free) midi sequencing program and transpose the
whole thing to the key in which the song should be played. Then, I add an
audio track playing the guitar. Save it as a .wav file and load it into
"Audacity", (another free audio manipulation program) for final editing,
balance and any effects I might want, then save as an Mp3 and burn to a CD.
Lots of fun and keeps me off the streets.

Eisboch

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 11:39:34 GMT, "RG" wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message
m...

"RG" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

I wonder if you could tune a lobster?

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 06:27:01 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"Tom Francis - SWSports" wrote in
message ...

wrote:
Ok, I'll admit it - this is WAY cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWbj7FYEi3M

I have an inclination to call bull**** on this one. I played woodwind
instruments and the length of this instrument vs the pitch don't add
up. It's been a while but I think the pitch would be higher. Of
course, in theory I can't see why it wouldn't work, just not sure
about this one...

I also find it hard to believe that the holes he arbitrarily drilled in
the
sides resulted in it being
in perfect pitch with the synth.

Nope. I also call BS.

Not that I'm an expert, but...

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/clari...l#registerhole

and

http://www.linseypollak.com/

plus

You guys are a bunch of skeptics. :)

Well shiver me timbers ... the guy is legit. I wonder what his version of
a Sousaphone would look like.

Probably use one of those monster pumpkins you see at county fairs in
the Fall. :)

wrote:
Ok, I'll admit it - this is WAY cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWbj7FYEi3M

I have an inclination to call bull**** on this one. I played woodwind
instruments and the length of this instrument vs the pitch don't add
up. It's been a while but I think the pitch would be higher. Of
course, in theory I can't see why it wouldn't work, just not sure
about this one...

Recorder of that length is not much different in pitch.

If you watch the whole performance, it's clear that the microphone is
connected to a sequencer and digital processing. I have Adobe Audition
Version 3 for recording on my PC, and fixing pitch problems or even
changing the key entirely is very simple. Its not hard at all to make
an out of tune violin into a perfect cello.

I don't know about sequencers as that's really not my thing, but I
just read up on them - wouldn't that mean that the carrot would be
essentially in tune with itself?

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 11:25:39 GMT, "RG" wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message
m...

wrote:
Ok, I'll admit it - this is WAY cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWbj7FYEi3M

I have an inclination to call bull**** on this one. I played woodwind
instruments and the length of this instrument vs the pitch don't add
up. It's been a while but I think the pitch would be higher. Of
course, in theory I can't see why it wouldn't work, just not sure
about this one...

I also find it hard to believe that the holes he arbitrarily drilled in
the sides resulted in it being
in perfect pitch with the synth.

Nope. I also call BS.

Oh, and there was no synthesizer. It was a sequencer. All the sequencer
does is record and playback a loop of what is fed into it. The only thing
the carrot was in tune with was itself.

Question answered - it would be.

I need to read up more on sequencers.
RG RG is offline

"Tom Francis - SWSports" wrote in
message ...
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 11:39:34 GMT, "RG" wrote:

"Eisboch" wrote in message
om...

"RG" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

If it was a rock lobster, sure.

don't even try to love a carrot Paul ASA 0 April 22nd 05 12:38 PM
try not to recollect a carrot [email protected] ASA 0 April 22nd 05 11:47 AM
try not to behave a carrot Jeremy ASA 0 April 22nd 05 11:30 AM
well, go explain a carrot Drunk Pathetic Callgirl ASA 0 April 22nd 05 10:42 AM
don't even try to dye a carrot Amber K. Clarke ASA 0 April 22nd 05 10:11 AM