Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default 6th attempt

Tried once again to re-install my roller furling. This consists of
taking off the forestay and then somehow pushing a heavy plastic
extrusion up said forestay (it is still attached at top). This is
done by threading a line thru said extrusion, attaching it to the
bottom of forestay end and then pulling on line while pushing
extrusion up. sorta difficult if you dont do it right..I got it right
today. Then used vice grips on the forestay to prevent it from
slipping back down while I slid the heavy plastic furling drum up the
forestay. I slipped, plastic drum fell onto dock, bounced once then
splash. OH, SH%$. Now what?
If I was younger and broke like years ago, I'd've just jumped in and
dove down to the bottom of the filthy canal and retrieved it. Not
anymore. I found various long handled implements to try to find it 8'
down and finally located it but simply couldnt get it. This water is
basically opaque so seeing it is outta the question.
Well, being older and more financially secure, I found the number of a
diver who says he'll get it out tomorrow for 30 bucks.......money well
spent I think.