posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Tachometer help

hello everyone! I am new here and I have a quick question about
tachometers. I have a boat tachometer that I am trying to hook up and
test but it isn’t the normal 12v, ground, and signal similar to
vehicles. I was hoping someone here could provide me on some insight
on how these work. I greatly appreciate any help.

Here is a link to the rear of the tach.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20166103@N05/2761111888/
[editor: picture validated as of date of this post]

Thanks,
Mark

--
Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.BoatingForumz.com interface
Thread archive: http://www.BoatingForumz.com/Tachome...pict99816.html
posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article 382821_38f97650c033df6f665c61c9902cff2d@boatingfo rumz.com,
says...
hello everyone! I am new here and I have a quick question about
tachometers. I have a boat tachometer that I am trying to hook up and
test but it isn=3Ft the normal 12v, ground, and signal similar to
vehicles. I was hoping someone here could provide me on some insight
on how these work. I greatly appreciate any help.

Here is a link to the rear of the tach.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20166103@N05/2761111888/
[editor: picture validated as of date of this post]

Thanks,
Mark

If the tach reads RPM from a tap on the alternator then there will be
three connections to the instrument. Plus, Neg. and input or signal
which is the connection to the alternator.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

In article 382821_38f97650c033df6f665c61c9902cff2d@boatingfo rumz.com,
says...
hello everyone! I am new here and I have a quick question about
tachometers. I have a boat tachometer that I am trying to hook up and
test but it isn=3Ft the normal 12v, ground, and signal similar to
vehicles. I was hoping someone here could provide me on some insight
on how these work. I greatly appreciate any help.

Here is a link to the rear of the tach.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20166103@N05/2761111888/
[editor: picture validated as of date of this post]

Thanks,
Mark

If the tach reads RPM from a tap on the alternator then there will be
three connections to the instrument. Plus, Neg. and input or signal
which is the connection to the alternator.

That must be it. It only goes up to 4000 RPM so it must be for a diesel.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 16:44:53 +0000, Larry wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote in
:

[...]

Tell our Turbocraft jet boat. 3300 RPM with the factory Graymarine,
3700 with the Buick we swapped in. Original engine had a mechanical
tach. Not hard to figure out the hookup. Nice thing about the electric
ones is that you can have as many of them as you like for the same
engine.

Casady

Diesel Tachometer bushman Cruising 5 June 5th 06 10:15 AM
Tachometer for an Atomic Four Lawrence Radcliffe Cruising 6 November 21st 03 05:32 PM
Thunderbolt ignition tachometer Mike General 1 October 27th 03 08:47 PM
US Marine Tachometer Joseph A. Rich General 2 August 30th 03 04:16 AM
Best Brands of Tachometer? Walt Bilofsky General 0 July 17th 03 02:15 AM