posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Marine Electronics Degree - where and how

Hello - I am very interested in becoming a Marine Electronics
Technician. I have grade 12 and have worked on some electronics on my
dads boat. But I want to get a formal education somewhere and become
licenced to work on boats of all types. I am prepared to go to school
for 2-4 years - so if you have graduated somewhere or know of a good
school, I would appreciate your comments. Thanks and have a nice day.

"andy t" wrote in message
Hello - I am very interested in becoming a Marine Electronics
Technician.....

You might want to check www.nmea.org. There should be some information about
training possibilities.

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article
,
andy t wrote:

Hello - I am very interested in becoming a Marine Electronics
Technician. I have grade 12 and have worked on some electronics on my
dads boat. But I want to get a formal education somewhere and become
licenced to work on boats of all types. I am prepared to go to school
for 2-4 years - so if you have graduated somewhere or know of a good
school, I would appreciate your comments. Thanks and have a nice day.

The only REQUIREMENT in the USA, to be qualified as a Marine Electronics
Tech is to HOLD a Federal Communications Commission General
RadioTelephone Operators License with Radar Endorsement, and GMDSS
Maintainer Endorsement. Should you need to work on a RadioTelegraph
equipped Vessel, then a Second Class RadioTelegraph Operators License
would be required, but there just aren't many of those vessels still
around.

Once you have a FCC Ticket, than most of the rest can be dealt with by
"On the Job Training" as a Junior Level Tech at a Marine Electronics
Service firm. Most good Technical Colleges have FCC Commercial Radio
License Classes, and usually they are a One Year Course Of Studies.
The other route into the business, would be to enter the US Coast Guard,
and Spend two to four Years, in their ET Schools, and then as an ET
in their Maintainance Group, Picking up the FCC License in the process.
Most of the GOOD, or World Class MET's, that I know, entered the Biz,
by one of these two Career Paths. I have found that NAVY Pukes, make
POOR MET's, and I have been around for 45 Years. Navy ET's are more
into High Tech Weapons Electronics, Inertial Navigation Systems, and
MIlitary Radio and Radar Systems, that don't directly cross to civilian
usage. The electronics theory is the same but the Practical Experience
just doesn't translate well. The USCG uses their Marine Electronics
Systems a lot more like the Commercial Maritime Vessels do, and the
experience that you get there will translate very well to the civilian
world.

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply
posted to rec.boats.electronics
377 377 is offline

On Apr 8, 11:39*am, andy t wrote:
Hello - I am very interested in becoming a Marine Electronics
Technician. I have grade 12 and have worked on some electronics on my
dads boat. But I want to get a formal education somewhere and become
licenced to work on boats of all types. I am prepared to go to school
for 2-4 years - *so if you have graduated somewhere or know of a good
school, I would appreciate your comments. Thanks and have a nice day.

Go to a public community college and get as much electronics training
as you can... or go into the Coast Guard and get trained. I have a
friend who did the Coastie route and he really got some excellent
training, better in many respects than my EE training at a top
university (too much mathematical modeling and too little pragmatic
circuit training). He maintained high powered Loran transmitters, but
was well trained on many other types of gear. Good theory training too
in the USCG schools. Don't spend big bucks for those private trade
schools. Get your FCC General RadioTelephone Operators License with
Radar Endorsement, and GMDSS Maintainer Endorsement as AK Bruce
suggests, but you can pass these tests by just studying books that
have the test questions in them and memorizing the answers. That
doesnt mean you know anything, but you will have the ticket and can
get an entry level job where you can learn from pros. IF you are good
at math and have the time and energy and can get admitted, go to a
public 4 year college or university and get a BS in electrical
engineering. Techs are waaaay underpaid compared to degreed engineers.
If you cannot get in as a freshman, try going to community college for
2 years, get your AA and then apply for admission as a junior. I know
many techs who are way better than degreed engineers, but they make
less than half what the engineer is paid. Unfair? Irrational? Yes, but
it is reality.
posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article , Bruce in alaska wrote:
In article
,
andy t wrote:

Hello - I am very interested in becoming a Marine Electronics
Technician. I have grade 12 and have worked on some electronics on my
dads boat. But I want to get a formal education somewhere and become
licenced to work on boats of all types. I am prepared to go to school
for 2-4 years - so if you have graduated somewhere or know of a good
school, I would appreciate your comments. Thanks and have a nice day.

The only REQUIREMENT in the USA, to be qualified as a Marine Electronics
Tech is to HOLD a Federal Communications Commission General
RadioTelephone Operators License with Radar Endorsement, and GMDSS
Maintainer Endorsement. Should you need to work on a RadioTelegraph
equipped Vessel, then a Second Class RadioTelegraph Operators License
would be required, but there just aren't many of those vessels still
around.

When I went to electronics school, getting the FCC licenses was required.
Then I went to work for DEC a computer company. I was not required to get
a radiotelegraph license, but I added it along with the Amateur Exra and Radiotelephone
First class, & radar.

Comming up on another radiotelegraph renewal. I think I'll let it expire.

greg