posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Microwave leak detector - active radar reflectors

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:21:58 GMT, John Navas
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:56:25 GMT, You wrote in
:

and which do you think COSTS more, a Radar Transponder or an AIS
Transponder????

C.A.R.D radar transponder: $535

C.A.R.D. is only a radar detector, not a transponder. It will
indicate the general direction from which it receives radar signals,
but does not respond to them, nor indicate the distance to the radar
source. I suspect the display would become useless in the presence of
multiple radar sources.

Class B AIS transponders (just coming on the market) are over $1,000
Class A AIS transponders are $4,000-5,000.

There is also a question of whether a radar or AIS transponder is
legal on a pleasure craft in the potential user's country.

I don't think that any Class B AIS units are approved for use in the
US at present. (I don't think that the AIS units should be called
transponders, as the transmit function doesn't depend on receiving any
signals.)

--
Best regards,
John Navas http:/navasgroup.com

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:01:53 -0800, Peter Bennett
wrote in
.com:

wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:56:25 GMT, You wrote in
:

and which do you think COSTS more, a Radar Transponder or an AIS
Transponder????

C.A.R.D radar transponder: $535

C.A.R.D. is only a radar detector, not a transponder. It will
indicate the general direction from which it receives radar signals,
but does not respond to them, nor indicate the distance to the radar
source. ...

My mistake -- sorry -- thanks for catching that. Instead:
Sea-me Active Radar Reflector: about $675

Class B AIS transponders (just coming on the market) are over $1,000
Class A AIS transponders are $4,000-5,000.

There is also a question of whether a radar or AIS transponder is
legal on a pleasure craft in the potential user's country.

I don't think that any Class B AIS units are approved for use in the
US at present.

Correct.

(I don't think that the AIS units should be called
transponders, as the transmit function doesn't depend on receiving any
signals.)

They are both transmitters and transponders, since they can be
interrogated.

--
Best regards,
John Navas http:/navasgroup.com
posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article .com,
Peter Bennett wrote:

Class B AIS transponders (just coming on the market) are over $1,000
Class A AIS transponders are $4,000-5,000.

There is also a question of whether a radar or AIS transponder is
legal on a pleasure craft in the potential user's country.

I don't think that any Class B AIS units are approved for use in the
US at present. (I don't think that the AIS units should be called
transponders, as the transmit function doesn't depend on receiving any
signals.)

That unfortunately cannot be explained by technical reasons - Simrad's
AI50 is ready.
(http://www.simrad-yachting.com/Produ...-Fishfinding/A
I50-Automatic-Identification-System/)

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
http://www.heusser.com