posted to comp.home.automation,rec.boats.electronics

Default usb data collecting?

Anyone have recommendations for usb connected data collection devices, to be
used within windows? I'd like to leave an old laptop on the boat this
winter and have it send me information on air temp and whether the bilge
pumps have been operating. Ideally I'd like something non-intrusive to
monitor the bilge pumps, like an induction loop detecting when power is
actually being used.

I'd want to monitor two sets of 12vdc levels, three bilge pumps, two air
temp values (cabin and engine compartment) and perhaps an IR motion sensor
or two.

Thanks,
-Bill Kearney

posted to comp.home.automation,rec.boats.electronics

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 10:13:56 -0500, "Bill Kearney"
wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote:

Anyone have recommendations for usb connected data collection devices, to be
used within windows? I'd like to leave an old laptop on the boat this
winter and have it send me information on air temp and whether the bilge
pumps have been operating. Ideally I'd like something non-intrusive to
monitor the bilge pumps, like an induction loop detecting when power is
actually being used.

I'd want to monitor two sets of 12vdc levels, three bilge pumps, two air
temp values (cabin and engine compartment) and perhaps an IR motion sensor
or two.

Thanks,
-Bill Kearney

For easier pogramming capability, I suggest a USB gizmo that is
seen as a virtual serial port device, or use a USB to serial
adapter and use a real serial port controlled gizmo for the data
I/O. I'd stay away from devices that require dll based
programming unless you are an experienced programmer.
posted to comp.home.automation,rec.boats.electronics

"Bill Kearney" wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote in message
t...
Anyone have recommendations for usb connected data collection devices, to

be
used within windows? I'd like to leave an old laptop on the boat this
winter and have it send me information on air temp and whether the bilge
pumps have been operating. Ideally I'd like something non-intrusive to
monitor the bilge pumps, like an induction loop detecting when power is
actually being used.

I'd want to monitor two sets of 12vdc levels, three bilge pumps, two air
temp values (cabin and engine compartment) and perhaps an IR motion sensor
or two.

Thanks,
-Bill Kearney

Try Pico...

http://www.picotech.com/

http://www.picotech.com/enviromon.html

They have a program that will upload data to a web site. Not sure if they
have something they will send it by email or similar.
http://www.picotech.com/e_software.html

I guess ideally you not only want to know if the pumps are running but if
they are actually moving any water. You might ask Pico if they know of
someone using their kit to monitor water level.

Bill Kearney wrote:

I'd want to monitor two sets of 12vdc levels, three bilge pumps, two air
temp values (cabin and engine compartment) and perhaps an IR motion sensor
or two.

If you want to monitor this remotely via telephone or internet I would
recommend something like a Elk M1 family device. On the other hand if
you are just going to record the data for later examination the laptop
is the way to go. I would look at serial or 1-wire instead of USB...

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 10:13:56 -0500, Bill Kearney wrote:
Anyone have recommendations for usb connected data collection devices, to be
used within windows? I'd like to leave an old laptop on the boat this
winter and have it send me information on air temp and whether the bilge
pumps have been operating. Ideally I'd like something non-intrusive to
monitor the bilge pumps, like an induction loop detecting when power is
actually being used.

I'd want to monitor two sets of 12vdc levels, three bilge pumps, two air
temp values (cabin and engine compartment) and perhaps an IR motion sensor
or two.

Thanks,
-Bill Kearney

Take a look at Labjack's U3 ($99.00):

http://www.labjack.com/labjack_u3.php?prodId=25

They have various programming interfaces to it and it works with
more OS's than just Windows.

You'll need to do some filtering (it's a 5v(?) device) but I don't
think that's too much of a problem.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site

posted to comp.home.automation,rec.boats.electronics

Try Pico...

Not at those prices! I don't need to know THAT bad.

posted to comp.home.automation,rec.boats.electronics

Take a look at Labjack's U3 ($99.00):
http://www.labjack.com/labjack_u3.php?prodId=25

Thanks Neil, that's a very interesting looking device.

They have various programming interfaces to it and it works with
more OS's than just Windows.

Indeed, that's always a good option.

You'll need to do some filtering (it's a 5v(?) device) but I don't
think that's too much of a problem.

Yeah, not to much trouble. I've got AC to the boat during the winter. I
could step down the onboard 12vdc. But then again I may want to use
something like X-10 (gasp!) to control power to it.

I'm toying with using an old laptop to act as a 'watchman' on the boat.
Just make sure it's not taking on water and know when the temps are getting
near (and below) freezing. Then being able to have it send me the data or
alerts should conditions merit. I'm having it handle informing me by using
on-shore wifi, not a phone line or service on the boat itself. If I was
keeping internet or phone service live on it all winter I'd probably go with
one of the embedded devices like the Elk.

If the AC power is out I'll know already via the laptop going onto battery
mode. So the sensors being offline due to loss of AC would be obvious. The
boat's about an hour away and there's staff on sight (and friends nearby).
So losing data collection during a power outage isn't critical since I'm
already going to be concerned about the loss of AC.

Thanks,
-Bill Kearney

posted to comp.home.automation,rec.boats.electronics

For easier pogramming capability, I suggest a USB gizmo that is
seen as a virtual serial port device, or use a USB to serial
adapter and use a real serial port controlled gizmo for the data
I/O. I'd stay away from devices that require dll based
programming unless you are an experienced programmer.

Serial port programming isn't necessarily any simpler than DLLs.

The labjack device looks to be interesting, and has quite an array of
programming interfaces.

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 18:57:35 -0500, Bill Kearney wrote:
Take a look at Labjack's U3 ($99.00):
http://www.labjack.com/labjack_u3.php?prodId=25

Thanks Neil, that's a very interesting looking device.

They have various programming interfaces to it and it works with
more OS's than just Windows.

Indeed, that's always a good option.

You'll need to do some filtering (it's a 5v(?) device) but I don't
think that's too much of a problem.

Yeah, not to much trouble. I've got AC to the boat during the winter. I
could step down the onboard 12vdc. But then again I may want to use
something like X-10 (gasp!) to control power to it.

Sorry probably the wrong term what I meant is the you'll need to bring
down the 12v to either 5v or 3.3v (I'm not sure which voltage) using
and op-amp. Or if it's more digital (0v or 12v) then maybe a
transistor or a zener. Basically you need some simple electronics to
bring it down to acceptable levels so the device can deal with them.

On Nov 17, 11:13 pm, "Bill Kearney" wkearney-99@hot-mail-com wrote:
Anyone have recommendations for usb connected data collection devices, to be
used within windows?

Bill there WAS a guy with a DIY system that did what you're talking
about. I get no response from:
http://programming.rogermisty.com/bms.htm

....but quite a few things 'just disappear' where I live: Mainland China

Need UK Waters GPS or Data William Longyard Cruising 0 February 2nd 07 05:37 AM
More GPS data questions Roger Long Cruising 4 February 11th 06 03:02 PM
Data Buoys captkeywest ASA 0 April 23rd 05 01:10 AM
collecting tricks Don Freeman Touring 0 September 28th 04 12:49 AM
Performance data DAVE M. General 1 September 3rd 03 05:33 PM