posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Navico TP 5500 Repair

I have a functioning Navico TP 5500 tiller pilot that seems to be in good
working order. It is fitted with the 500 remote, but unfortunately that
seems to be on the fritz. The remote adds many features and it would be a
shame to dump this unit, old as it is. However I cannot find a repair
station for this item. Ideas?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Armond Perretta ha scritto:
I have a functioning Navico TP 5500 tiller pilot that seems to be in good
working order. It is fitted with the 500 remote, but unfortunately that
seems to be on the fritz. The remote adds many features and it would be a
shame to dump this unit, old as it is. However I cannot find a repair
station for this item. Ideas?

Armond, I may be of help because I had a similar problem and solved it.
Actually my device is a Navico WP5000 with remote H5000 but the remote
is exactly the same as the TP5000.
Now the problem of the H5000 is that water/humidity seeps in and
corrodes the conductive copper film of the inner circuit board making it
go berserk.
So my advice is to follow what I did: don't be intimidated and open the
unit (H5000); rebuild the corroded parts with thin copper wire and a
proper solder iron. You will find that lukily only few parts need fixing
and, after that, the R5000 will return into life.
Afterwards be very careful in closing and sealing the unit better than
before.

Good luck
Daniel
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Daniele Fua wrote:
Armond Perretta ha scritto:

I have a functioning Navico TP 5500 tiller pilot ... fitted with the
5000 remote, but unfortunately that seems to be on the fritz ... it would
be a shame to dump this unit, old as it is. However I cannot find a
repair station for this item ...

... I had a similar problem and solved it ... the problem of the H5000 is
that water/humidity seeps in and corrodes the conductive copper film of
the inner circuit board making it go berserk ... my advice is to ... open
the unit (H5000); rebuild the corroded parts with thin copper wire and a
proper solder iron. You will find that lukily only few parts need fixing
and, after that, the R5000 will return into life. Afterwards be very
careful in closing and sealing the unit better than before.

I have already opened the hand programmer to check the continuity of the
cable connecting it to the autopilot. The 5-wire cable seems fine. I did
not notice any other obvious problems within the hand programmer but will
take a closer look this afternoon. Was there a specific location within the
unit where you noticed a problem?

Armond Perretta ha scritto:

I have already opened the hand programmer to check the continuity of the
cable connecting it to the autopilot. The 5-wire cable seems fine. I did
not notice any other obvious problems within the hand programmer but will
take a closer look this afternoon. Was there a specific location within the
unit where you noticed a problem?

It was some time ago but I sort of remember that the broken tracks were
close to the edge of the circuit board were a leak from outside may
produce more damage. Check in the vicinity of the cable entrance gland.
Good luck
Daniel