posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Battery charging Outbaord engine

Will my 1987 Mercury 135 hp charge the battery? Sorry if this seems like
a stupid question. I put my battery on a charger after each outing.
Thinking back to the boats I had as a kid, I never charged a battery.
For the most part the engines I had were pull start, but the last two I
had were electric start.
John

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 12:06:24 -0400, "Midlant"
wrote:

Will my 1987 Mercury 135 hp charge the battery? Sorry if this seems like
a stupid question. I put my battery on a charger after each outing.
Thinking back to the boats I had as a kid, I never charged a battery.
For the most part the engines I had were pull start, but the last two I
had were electric start.
John

I would expect any engine with electric start would also have battery
charging capabilities.

If you have a voltmeter, you can easily check by measuring the battery
voltage - with the engine stopped, the voltage will be 12.6 - 13
volts. With the engine running fast enough to charge, the voltage
will rise, probably to a little over 14 volts.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Peter Bennett" wrote in message
news.com...
If you have a voltmeter, you can easily check by measuring the battery
voltage - with the engine stopped, the voltage will be 12.6 - 13
volts. With the engine running fast enough to charge, the voltage
will rise, probably to a little over 14 volts.

I may do that next time I head out. Kind of hard holding two leads on
the battery while the boat is cooking along at a good speed wand
bouncing with the waves. If I had a passenger that would be easy. I
could tape or secure the leads to the posts.....

I asked as I was curious if anyone knew the design of them as to whether
it's just enough to charge or they're designed to meet all your needs
while out running.
John

"Chuck Tribolet" wrote in message
Most outboards engines have a way run them a bit faster in neutral.
It won't take much --
1200-1500 RPM.

I'm heading out tomorrow to fish and taking a buddy along. If I remember
to take my meter, I'll let you know what I find.
John