posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default MLR FX312 GPS and NASA REPEATER

I'm trying to connect a NASA GPS cockpit repeater to a MLR FX312 without
success.
The same GPS repeater connects fine with my Garmin 12 handheld.
Any suggestions please? I've tried checking the NMEA output from the MLR -
all switched OK.
The NASA displays GETTING POS / GETTING SOG etc.
The helpful guys at NASA have no explanation to this.
The NMEA output from the MLR feeds a Simrad DSC VHF perfectly.
Any ideas welcome !
Thanks,
Steve.

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 00:49:44 GMT SteveB-Soton wrote:
I'm trying to connect a NASA GPS cockpit repeater to a MLR FX312 without
success.
The same GPS repeater connects fine with my Garmin 12 handheld.
Any suggestions please? I've tried checking the NMEA output from the MLR -
all switched OK.
The NASA displays GETTING POS / GETTING SOG etc.
The helpful guys at NASA have no explanation to this.
The NMEA output from the MLR feeds a Simrad DSC VHF perfectly.
Any ideas welcome !

Does the repeater show the position? I have in fact just same setup and the
repeater shows only the position (i.e. coordinates) when there is no
waypoint activated. This is because if I remember correctly, the repeater
can only get the SOG and COG from the NMEA sentence that is used by the
autopilot (APB sentence).

There's also a menu in the MLR where you can choose which NMEA sentences are
sent from the output and if I remember correctly, in the repeater manual is
listed those sentences that the repeater needs. You should check that one
also.

matti
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Thank you very much.
I hadn't realised exactly how the MLR menu for NMEA sentences works.
If you don't understand the menu it's quite easy to program the wrong
sentences.
We now seem to have all the data coming through.
Next test is the Yeoman plotter - I hope it needs the same NMEA sentences as
the NASA.
Anyway, first objective complete - thanks again.
Steve.

Matti wrote:
I'm trying to connect a NASA GPS cockpit repeater to a MLR FX312 without
success.

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]

"SteveB-Soton via BoatKB.com" u32515@uwe wrote in

Next test is the Yeoman plotter - I hope it needs the same NMEA
sentences as the NASA.

Yeoman plotter needs GGRMC to get lat/long from the GPS.....

Larry
--
Message for Comcrap Internet Customers:
http://tinyurl.com/3ayl9c