posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Lilliput Car PC

I'm considering the Lilliput for use onboard.

They are selling these on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lilliput-Car-PC-...QQcmdZViewItem

It's designed as a mobile pc with a 40 gig HD and 1 ghz CPU. The
power consumption is around 30 watts (but no more than 48 watts), and
has some nice features. Around US$500. Any use this model or
thinking about using one I'd like your opinions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lilliput-Car-PC-...D-MP3-GPS-USB-...

It's designed as a mobile pc with a 40 gig HD and 1 ghz CPU. The
power consumption is around 30 watts (but no more than 48 watts), and
has some nice features. Around US$500. Any use this model or
thinking about using one I'd like your opinions.

There is no evidence that it would survive in a marine environment.
Get yourself a tablet pc and an otter box. Mine has 100 gig HD, 2.4
ghx CPU, Windoz XP, internal wireless, a six hour battery life, great
screen and can run off a 12V power socket. Input by infrared keyboard
or stylus. Small, light, love it.

Steve Hayes

On Mar 12, 4:22 pm, "steve_hayes_maine" wrote:
There is no evidence that it would survive in a marine environment.
Get yourself a tablet pc and an otter box.--(snip)--

Any of these small-box mini-ITX systems (Except the SeaPC with
Waterproof LCD Display at $4500) are intended to be installed out of
the weather/spray, like most onboard electronics. Weatherproof LCD/
Touchscreens or LCD plus waterproof switches are the parts that can be
out In The Weather....

The fanless operation of the low-power units keeps the salt air out...