posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Circuit Breaker Trip Amps

"GeoffSchultz" wrote in
ps.com:

It 10 AWG wire. The 20A circuit breaker is a new breaker and I
suspect that it's defective. I'm going to return it.

-- Geoff

Bored to tears on a slow day, I pulled through the junk box at Waste
Marine, Charleston, this afternoon. In the junk, I found TWO 25A circuit
breakers that plug into a 3AG clip. THEY WERE 48 CENTS EACH, in the
original bubble pack! Best deal I ever got at Waste Marine....

Does anyone have an HP Ipaq PDA? On the bargain shelf by the register,
there was a brand new Maptech software package bundled with a GPS
receiver that you plug an Ipaq PDA (several models) into to make a chart
plotter/navigator out of the PDA. It was marked down from $349 to $30!

Helluva deal for someone with an Ipaq.....(c;

Larry
--
How much price inflation is caused by illegal
aliens gobbling up goods and services, creating

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On 7 Mar 2007 16:48:09 -0800, "GeoffSchultz"
wrote:

Can someone define what the "trip amps" on a breaker means? I have a
20A breaker that has a Trip Amps of 27A. I'm running a breaker right
at 20A and it's tripping after several minutes. I just increased it
to a 25A breaker, but I'd like to understand what "trip amps" means.

It's not a good idea to run a breaker at maximum current for any
length of time. Sooner or later they will trip out as you have
discovered. Breakers that have tripped frequently tend to age in my
experience and begin to trip below their rating at some point.

With #10 wire you should be fine with a 25 amp breaker.
posted to rec.boats.electronics

It looks like everyone posting here is pretty knowledgeable... And,
remember the breaker is there to protect the wire from overheating, it
is not intended to protect the electronic device on the end of the
wire - and it won't...
For those reading who may want a bit more information go to ...

http://tinyurl.com/3bgh7e

It is not just the voltage and current but also the length of the wire
run...

denny
MV Levitation

Trip Report - Pocomoke Weekend of Rivers 2006 [email protected] General 8 September 1st 06 01:22 PM
Purpose of 50amp circuit breaker on 2005 4.3l v6 mercruiser [email protected] General 2 August 1st 05 07:16 PM
Circuit Breaker trips while charging?? Steve Electronics 5 August 8th 04 11:42 PM
Fishfinder??? Bobsprit ASA 31 January 26th 04 09:06 PM
Hi Amp breaker alternatives? Steve Boat Building 7 September 28th 03 01:33 AM