Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default NEMA 2000 Woes

Some History:
I recently purchased a "new" used 32' sailboat. I am currently
working on gutting the existing "rats nest" electrical system. In
addition to the electrical system, I am also going to replace the
instruments onboard. The previous owners have installed a Heathkit
speed/log, and a Standard Horizon depth sounder, both are in need of
replacement.

My dilemma is the last year I purchased a Lowrance LMS-337C
(http://www.lowrance.com/marine/Products/LMS-337CDF.asp) for my
previous boat. This worked out very well for that boat because I was
only interested in GPS, depth, and chart plotter. On my new project I
work like to also include an anemometer during this electrical
overhaul. I would also like to be able to add an autopilot and radar
in the future (perhaps later this season). Unfortunately, Lowarnce
doesn't have anemometers or autopilots and I think this unit only
supports NEMA 2000. I have found that Maretron
(http://www.maretron.com/) seems to offer a full product line of NEMA
2000 sensors including ultrasonic anemometers and additional LCD
displays. Lowrance does offer radar on their larger displays, but not
for the one I currently have, so to add radar I would need to buy a new
display anyway, however I would be able to install the 337C in the
cabin at the Nav station as a backup and do route planning out of the
elements.

My questions:
What would be the most practical solution for me? Does the NEMA 2000
standard work as well as advertised for multi-brand systems? Should I
sell my Lowrance unit and go for a one-brand boat such as Raymarine,
Navman, or Comnav? If I start over from scratch for my primary cockpit
unit, is there any merit in mounting the Lowarnce down below?