posted to rec.boats.electronics
Len Len is offline

Default exp with mob-alerts and direction finders ?

Hi all,

Anyone here familiar with mob-alerts and direction finders?
I saw this one:
http://www.landfallnavigation.com/seamarshall.html
I'd like to know if the (rather affordable) handheld will do the job
in heavy weather. I have doubts re the question if the waveheight
forces me to place an antenna up in the mast for succesfull
retrieval. Short periods of reception when the unlucky crewmember is
on the top of the waves could suffice.
I'll ask the manufacturer but for the obvious reason I value
cruisers experiences many times more.

Any experiences / other products / suggestions ?

Anyone ever did a Mob-operation in real life? What method did you
use / what did you learn the hard way?
When I read these magazines I tend to think they are about mob
situations in rather calm weather.

Fair winds, Len.

Reageren »

posted to rec.boats.electronics

"Len" wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone here familiar with mob-alerts and direction finders?
I saw this one:
http://www.landfallnavigation.com/seamarshall.html
I'd like to know if the (rather affordable) handheld will do the job
in heavy weather. I have doubts re the question if the waveheight
forces me to place an antenna up in the mast for succesfull
retrieval. Short periods of reception when the unlucky crewmember is
on the top of the waves could suffice.

I don't have any experience with these MOB systems, but I have done
ham-radio "fox hunting" using 144 MHz signals. These MOB units transmit at
121.5 MHz, and while there will be attenuation from the waves, I expect that
you will still get a useable signal for a significant distance (a couple of
miles?), even with less than ideal antenna placement. Are you considering
the simple receiver, or the one with the direction-finding antenna?

I am also interested in hearing anyone's actual experience with these
things, or with the small units that trigger an alarm when a "keep-alive"
signal is lost -- the Raymarine "Lifetag" is one of these, although I don't
think they are shipping yet:
(http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/D...1344&Parent=2).
I was looking at MOB alarm systems earlier this year, as I was preparing for
a race to Hawaii, but got trapped in "analysis paralysis" comparing all the
systems. I ended up just making sure that everyone wore their tether, but I
expect to eventually install some sort of alarm system..

-Paul