posted to rec.boats.electronics
sw sw is offline

Default Raymarine AIS

Does anyone know how Raymarine E series handle AIS when there are no AIS
signals in the area? Does it just show "No AIS"? Since AIS nema data doesn't
xmit unless there is active signal, I assume that is the reason for the "No
AIS" message even though the receiver is hooked up and running? Does the the
display recover and show AIS data if it starts up without AIS data at
bootup?

Thanks

posted to rec.boats.electronics

You are correct. The one issue is that whenever a ship travels out of
range, the E series sounds an alarm and displays the message "AIS
Connection Lost."

This is annoying and when I contacted Raymarine, they said they are
aware of the issue and are trying figure out how to resolve. (Turning
the alram off would seem simple enough.)

posted to rec.boats.electronics
sw sw is offline

Just so I understand, the E series will go from a "No AIS" warning on the
top right part of the screen to showing AIS targets once a target signal
comes in reception range?

Thanks for the help

"Jeremy" wrote in message
oups.com...
You are correct. The one issue is that whenever a ship travels out of
range, the E series sounds an alarm and displays the message "AIS
Connection Lost."

This is annoying and when I contacted Raymarine, they said they are
aware of the issue and are trying figure out how to resolve. (Turning
the alram off would seem simple enough.)

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Yep. the AIS symbol has a red "X" over it when no signal is being
received.

I have a few pictures of the Raymarine AIS screens if you are
interested.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
sw sw is offline

Thanks for the info. It's too bad in a way that you get the red X even
though the AIS receiver is hooked up and running. It strikes me as
confusing. My guess is that there will be improvements in the software down
the road.

oups.com...

sw wrote:
Thanks for the info. It's too bad in a way that you get the red X even
though the AIS receiver is hooked up and running. It strikes me as
confusing. My guess is that there will be improvements in the software down
the road.

The problem is that when no AIS transmitters are in range, the AIS
receiver isn't receiving anything and thus it doesn't output anything on
its serial port. This means that the device on the other end of the AIS
serial cable has no way of knowing whether there simply is no AIS
traffic within range or whether the cable is cut, or if the receiver is
malfunctioning. There is no "keepalive" so that the AIS receiver could
tell serial port listeners that it is still alive and kicking.

Tapio
posted to rec.boats.electronics
sw sw is offline

It would seem an easy task of the receiver designer to output data sentences
with just the header information when no transmitter is in range. Really
though, I would blame the Raymarine implementation. When you run AIS in
various PC charting software, you either see targets or not. No red X's, no
problems.

"Tapio Sokura" wrote in message
. ..
sw wrote:
Thanks for the info. It's too bad in a way that you get the red X even
though the AIS receiver is hooked up and running. It strikes me as
confusing. My guess is that there will be improvements in the software

down
the road.

The problem is that when no AIS transmitters are in range, the AIS
receiver isn't receiving anything and thus it doesn't output anything on
its serial port. This means that the device on the other end of the AIS
serial cable has no way of knowing whether there simply is no AIS
traffic within range or whether the cable is cut, or if the receiver is
malfunctioning. There is no "keepalive" so that the AIS receiver could
tell serial port listeners that it is still alive and kicking.

Tapio

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I should think the alarm be configable on raymarine, but otherwise the
"no ais" status is fine. Having the receive send a keep alive message
isn't very helpful, without an AIS transmitter somewhere how does the
AIS receiver know everything is good? It's not like radar or gps, which
the other status's were designed around, where their is always a
transmitter to listen too.

In any event, in a year or two there will be enough AIS traffic, you
won't be able to get away from it.

sw wrote:
Thanks for the info. It's too bad in a way that you get the red X even
though the AIS receiver is hooked up and running. It strikes me as
confusing. My guess is that there will be improvements in the software

down
the road.

The problem is that when no AIS transmitters are in range, the AIS
receiver isn't receiving anything and thus it doesn't output anything on
its serial port. This means that the device on the other end of the AIS
serial cable has no way of knowing whether there simply is no AIS
traffic within range or whether the cable is cut, or if the receiver is
malfunctioning. There is no "keepalive" so that the AIS receiver could
tell serial port listeners that it is still alive and kicking.

Tapio

posted to rec.boats.electronics

What is the brand of your AIS receiver? I have a Milltech AIS SR161,
this unit has 2 leds which indicates if it is receiving signal from
other ships and the other leds indicates when it is sending nmea data
to your plotter.

If you have the old Nasa ais black box without the leds, you have
these problems on not knowing waht is happening

Pascal

sw wrote:
It would seem an easy task of the receiver designer to output data sentences
with just the header information when no transmitter is in range. Really
though, I would blame the Raymarine implementation. When you run AIS in
various PC charting software, you either see targets or not. No red X's, no
problems.

I can see the logic in Raymarine software here, as there are two
possible scenarios: a) there is no AIS traffic in range or b) something
is broken with the AIS receiver setup. Situation a) is normal, but
situation b) needs to be looked at. There's no way an AIS serial stream
listener can deduce which one is the case, so to err on the side of
caution, an alarm is raised. Of course if you cry wolf too often you
might end up in trouble anyway..

Tapio