Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Radio noise

Our AM/FM radio has severe noise when tuned on the AM band. We have lived
with this, because we mostly listen to FM, but these seem more directional
than the AM stations, so keep fading in & out when at anchor.

Today, I did a test to find the source of the noise. I had suspected it was
the battery charger but this turned out to be wrong. What it is, is a small
computer fan that we use to ventilate the cupboard where the refrig
compressor is located. Turn fan off and noise is gone!

The fan is new and is a typical 3" computer fan except it has two speeds
controlled by temperature.

The refrig unit itself has two fans - a 4" and a 2" and these do not seem to
cause any noise.

I suppose I can change the fan, but is there another way to eliminate the
radio interference?

HAM and SSB Frequencies Bill Cruising 5 August 18th 05 07:58 PM
VANISHED (stolen?)- a new (and unique) 57' Beneteau [email protected] Cruising 18 January 13th 04 12:26 AM
AM radio noise Jralbert Electronics 4 August 16th 03 08:49 PM