posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default Radio noise

"OldSailor" wrote in news:dtwDg.103772$hp.40793
@read2.cgocable.net:

I suppose I can change the fan, but is there another way to eliminate

the
radio interference?

Probably not. It's an electronic pulse generator running a sort of
stepper motor and they are very noisy, RF wise, in the MF/HF spectrum
computers don't worry about. I'm amazed your battery charger isn't
trashing it. We cannot hear anything on HF at the dock unless I cut the
breaker to the Guest dual 10A charger in the engine compartment. It just
radiates broadband noise something awful into the Icom M-802 HF receiver,
rendering it useless.

We had another electronic motor controller problem on the old boat that
had an Adler-Barbour 12V cold plate in the ice box. Of course, it only
made this repetitive, intermittent bzzt...bzzt...bzzt.bzzt.bzzt repeating
over and over just strong enough so you couldn't squelch it out on VHF
channel 16! Because you didn't monitor the other channels, hour after
hour, Adler-Barbour made it only jam Channel 16...driving you just CRAZY,
hour after hour listening at the helm. Took me a while to find it as I
never suspected 12V refridgeration would do such a thing so high in freq
on
FM....bzzt...bzzt...bzzt.bzzt.bzzt..........bzzt.. .bzzt...bzzt.bzzt.bzzt

Of course, NMEA networks running today with the manufacturers grounding
one side of the balanced network all over the place, radiate like hell,
too into the HF. I just shut our system down if I want to talk to
anyone.