posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

Default Battery watering I found...

Let's face it, watering the house batteries in any boat is a pain in the
ass. Dragging out all the stuff on top of the battery boxes....crawling
around inside awful compartments full of engines, water heaters and much
nastier crap to peer down inside that very back cell you wished you'd never
put where it is.....we've all been there, done that, cursed and hurted.

I found this gadget from an ad in homepower.com magazine:
http://tinyurl.com/nmo2z

part of http://janwp.com/

Water all the batteries at once with valves to level each cell just right.
What a cool idea.....

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

Larry writes:

What a cool idea...

A lab wash bottle and inspection mirror are effective and much more
versatile.
posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

Richard J Kinch wrote in
:

more
versatile.

How do you get to the back cell of the last battery against the back wall
of the engine room better with that?

Hell, this thing can be plumbed easily so you can fill the batteries from
your bunk, if you want...(c;

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

Does this have a small float switch for each cell or does it depend on
water seeking its own level?

In the latter case, how does it work on a heeled sailboat?

--

Roger Long

"Larry" wrote in message
Let's face it, watering the house batteries in any boat is a pain in
the
ass. Dragging out all the stuff on top of the battery
boxes....crawling
around inside awful compartments full of engines, water heaters and
much
nastier crap to peer down inside that very back cell you wished
you'd never
put where it is.....we've all been there, done that, cursed and
hurted.

I found this gadget from an ad in homepower.com magazine:
http://tinyurl.com/nmo2z

part of http://janwp.com/

Water all the batteries at once with valves to level each cell just
right.
What a cool idea.....

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

It was reported recently in an RV bulletin board that they felt that
the batteries were being over filled. This could perhaps be due to the
vehicle motion.

posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats.cruising

"Roger Long" wrote in news:7jssg.19899$O35.637
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

Does this have a small float switch for each cell or does it depend on
water seeking its own level?

In the latter case, how does it work on a heeled sailboat?

You only fill it with a squeeze bulb once in a while, not continuously.
There's a float valve in each plug that shuts off the water when the level
gets below the filler. The rest of the time it's a safety vent.

The level in a heeled sailboat is the same as it is, now. The plates on
the high side are exposed to the air as the electrolyte levels with
gravity. The vents in the middle of the cell don't get messy until you
broach or pitchpole the boat upside down. A sailboat battery is always the
wrong way....a topic we haven't explored much worrying over why $800
batteries are better than $65 batteries. I suppose AGM or Gelcell
batteries are better than wetcells in a heeled over sailboat, but it never
seems to make a difference that I can tell, because there's always lots
more lead in the plates than there is electrolyte to eat them.