posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default WiFi Access

Here's a marine Ethernet WiFi bridge:

http://www.panbo.com/yae/archives/001314.html

Rusty wrote:
Yes, it has several USB ports. That is probably the way I will go.

Rusty

"Larry" wrote in message
"Rusty" wrote in
:

By the way, the Shuttle computer does not have any PCI slots so
wireless PCI adapters won't help. It only has two PCI Express slots,
1X and 16X. These are completely different from standard PCI. The 16X
slot has an ATI graphics and video capture card. The mother board has
all the rest of the needed features on it.

The USB adapter is an external box that just plugs into the USB port I
assume it has, right?

That'll work just as good...(c;

posted to rec.boats.electronics

I'm on my boat right now. Just installed an EUB-362(ext) works very
good. I've been using a smc 200 mw pcmcia client so far, but only b
protocol. The big attraction is EUB supports G protocol at 200 mw. I've
had a 8db ext ant for a few years. I would stay away from LMR100 and
LMR200, go the best, LMR400. Something like .25 db loss per meter
(about 1 db loss per 12', not bad). I already had an N connector at the
nav station, so got a N to rp-sma adapter. I may eventually shorten the
LMR400 cable & run an active USB instead.

For more info of my previous setup and info on War Sailing, check out:
http://www.catalina42.org/war-sail/

I know EUB claims it supports Netstumbler (NEED their new drivers on
their web site, supplied cd does not work). It kinda does work, but
after about 1 min, all AP's go to grey and none are available. Have not
figured out why yet. Has anyone seen this? (Running XP Home, SP2, runs
Netstumbler perfectly with my older SMC card). Tried it on another
laptop, same results.

Norm

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
You might try a EUB-362(EXT) high power (200mw) USB wireless adapter with an
8.5db marine antenna on the Shuttle, hard wire in the other PCs through a
workgroup switch and use the Windows ICS facility to share the connection.

The EUB-362 is especially attractive because you can run the USB cable up to
15' and locate the EUB362 close to the antenna. With a powered hub at the
end of the USB cable you can go another 15' and take the load off the
Shuttle all together.. At 2.4Ghz LMR200 coax will loose more than 50% of
the signal over 20' but only 15% over the 4' that comes with the antenna.
Also working off the USB port the Shuttle will own the adapter so you can
scan for access points and control which one it connects to using the
standard wifi utilities. You can't do that very easily with a wireless
router.

To give you an idea of the performance, using a 200mw Senao card connected
through 16' of LMR100 an 8.5db antenna I could get a usable signal from the
500mw BVI Marine Wifi access points out to about 900 yards. The thin LMR100
lost 75% of the signal so a shorter length of LMR200 should get you out to
1,500 yards or better.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Rusty" wrote in message
. ..
I have a non-laptop Shuttle computer on my sailboat. I would like to be
able to access marina and other WiFi points when available. I have talked
to some of the marine WiFi providers and they only provide hardware that
works with laptop computers. At the Oakland boat show the provider I talked
to wouldn't even look at me after I said I had a desktop computer instead
of a laptop!

I would like to set up an external antenna and the necessary hardware to
get WiFi access into the Ethernet port on my computer. I have no laptop
PCMCIA slots, no PCI bus slots, only a high-speed Ethernet port. I am not
looking to have secondary wireless access for other devices on the boat.

I would like to be able to install a wired router on the boat and share
the internet connection among more than one on-board wired computer. This
would eliminate USB wireless adapters that connect directly to the
computer.

Can I use a bridge, like the Linksys WET54G, for this application or is
there a better solution? Recommendations for an external antenna would
also be appreciated.

Thanks, Rusty