posted to rec.boats.electronics
AllStar Entertainment

Default Help with boat problem

Help with boat problem
I have a 140hp Mercruiser engine in a boat I just got ,,I was wondering if
I could get some advise???

My boat runs great for about 1 hour,
however as soon as I start allowing my
kids to ski or tube , and I go from drive to neutral , and back to drive a
few times the boat wants to die.. like it is running on 2-3 cylinders, not
all 4....

I was able to run the boat fine with , the problem seems to only happen when
I go in and out of drive several times and when the boat has ran a while

I changed the neutral safety switch on the side of the engine.. ( I was told
that was the problem) but it still does the same thing... any idea's
I do not believe this is a fuel problem

Depressed in Apex

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"AllStar Entertainment" wrote in
news
I was able to run the boat fine with , the problem seems to only
happen when I go in and out of drive several times and when the boat
has ran a while

What happens if you leave it idle for 5 minutes after it has been run hard?

Got a temperature guage on it? What's that read?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"AllStar Entertainment" wrote in
news
I was able to run the boat fine with , the problem seems to only
happen when I go in and out of drive several times and when the boat
has ran a while

Oh, one more thought. AS this seems to be fuel starvation after you're
running it hard skiing, the next time it does it, quickly open the gas tank
filler cap and listen for it sucking air into the tank. What you describe
could be a plugged gas tank vent, allowing the hard running engine to pull
a vacuum on the gas tank, which eventually results in the little fuel pump
not being able to overcome the tank vacuum and starving it.

If you run it hard for a few miles then back it off to an idle, still in
forward putting along at idle, does it fuel starve then?