posted to rec.boats.electronics
Floating Mind

Default 12V to 5V

I have an MP3 player that requires 5VDC. I'd like to use this on my
boat and adapt it to my 12VDC system. Any suggestions?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
chuck

Floating Mind wrote:
I have an MP3 player that requires 5VDC. I'd like to use this on my
boat and adapt it to my 12VDC system. Any suggestions?

You'll want to use a DC-DC converter. I imagine
they're available wherever electronic appliances
are sold.

Here's one online:

http://www.unbeatablesale.com/oci112...C-DC+converter
JWIN JAD602 Regulated DC-DC converter

Chuck

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon Wedman

"chuck" wrote in message
Floating Mind wrote:
I have an MP3 player that requires 5VDC. I'd like to use this on my
boat and adapt it to my 12VDC system. Any suggestions?

You'll want to use a DC-DC converter. I imagine they're available wherever
electronic appliances are sold.

Here's one online:

http://www.unbeatablesale.com/oci112...C-DC+converter
JWIN JAD602 Regulated DC-DC converter

Chuck

Or buy a 150 watt inverter and plug the MP3 player brick into that.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Floating Mind

Thanks for the tips! I think I'm going to go with Larry's suggestion
and build the one he posted. The 110V adapter that came with the unit
states that it has a 2.4 amp output, but I'm sure that's only required
during charging. Whenever I use this player on the boat it will already
be charged. I'm still going to add the heat sink right off the bat
though.

I want to stay away from using an inverter, and the only DC to DC
adapters I could find pre-made didn't have a 5V position, but thanks for
all of your suggestions anyway.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

(Floating Mind) wrote in news:19445-4492F1B5-514
@storefull-3115.bay.webtv.net:

Thanks for the tips! I think I'm going to go with Larry's suggestion
and build the one he posted. The 110V adapter that came with the unit
states that it has a 2.4 amp output, but I'm sure that's only required
during charging.

Ok, so let's use a bigger regulator...(c;

http://www.linear.com/pc/downloadDocument.do?
navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,C1033,P1005,D4236

oops, sorry for wordwrap. This IC regulator won't even get warm at 5A
load....it's a SWITCHER, which is what I always prefer...(c;

Build this one and have 5V power to burn...er, ah, charge...(c;

posted to rec.boats.electronics
purple_stars

Larry wrote:
[snip]
Go by any electronics store and get a 7805 IC regulator. Here's the
simplest of power supplies:

http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/psu_5v.html

love the 7805, buy them in bulk

posted to rec.boats.electronics
nimbusgb

Use a 78st105 from Texas instruments.

96% efficient at 1.5 amps.

They also do a 3 amp part.

http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/slta010a/slta010a.pdf for an application
note.

a couple of external caps and you are away.

PS I have a tube full of them if you are just looking for one or two!

Ian