posted to rec.boats.electronics
chuck

Default Power cord ground terminal grounded to thru-hulls

krj wrote:
chuck wrote:
Larry wrote:

wrote in news:1150426885.033779.258180
@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

If the water heater is not
bonded to the engine ground you get zapped!

(click!) The GFCI just trips. Noone gets zapped.

Another case to make dock GFCIs MANDATORY at all marinas.

If the water heater is on a 250/125 volt circuit there can be no GFCI.

Do you see a lot of water heaters operating at 125 volts?

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups
=----

There are a lot of 6 to 12 gallon hot 125 volt water heaters on sailboats.
krj

Thanks for the info, krj. I didn't
realize they were so common.

But it is worth noting that if that 125
volt water heater is powered from a 250
volt shore power connection, there will
be no GFCI protection at the pedestal
for that circuit.

Of course, one could (and should)
install his own GFCI protection for a
125 volt water heater onboard, even when
powering from a 250 volt connection.

Chuck

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

chuck wrote in news:1150477032_23465
@sp6iad.superfeed.net:

f the water heater is on a 250/125 volt
circuit there can be no GFCI.

Huh?? The boat's plugged into a GFCI, it's got a GFCI!

Do you see a lot of water heaters
operating at 125 volts?

All the boat hot water heaters on the boats I have anything to do with are
125VAC...

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"Russell" wrote in news:1150485737.896680.269040
@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Hatteras

Big isolation transformers humming away in the bilge....

Larry wrote:
chuck wrote in news:1150477032_23465
@sp6iad.superfeed.net:

f the water heater is on a 250/125 volt
circuit there can be no GFCI.

Huh?? The boat's plugged into a GFCI, it's got a GFCI!

Then the boat is plugged into a 125 volt
circuit and not a 250/125 volt circuit,
isn't it?

Remember what is meant by a 250/125 volt
circuit: center tapped 250 volt
secondary which supplies one or two 125
volt circuits and one 250 volt circuit.
If your shore power cable connects to
the 250 volt receptacle, it will not
have GFCI protection at the pedestal.
Your boat will NOT be plugged into a
GFCI on the dock in that case.

The ONLY way you can use GFCI protection
with a 250 volt circuit is if the center
tap is grounded and no 125 volt circuits
are connected. Pure 250 volt: L1,L2,G.
If you connect one or two 125 volt
circuits using the center tap as
neutral, the two hot legs will almost
always be unbalanced (i.e., unequal
loads) and using the presence of a
differential current as an indication of
a ground fault will be futile. There
will almost always be a differential
current of more than 4 milliamperes.

Do you see a lot of water heaters
operating at 125 volts?

All the boat hot water heaters on the boats I have anything to do with are
125VAC...

Yeah, I didn't realize that the 125 volt
models were so popular. Appreciate the
recalibration though. But they do make
250 volt models also.

Chuck

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

chuck wrote in news:1150504016_27177
@sp6iad.superfeed.net:

Then the boat is plugged into a 125 volt
circuit and not a 250/125 volt circuit,
isn't it?

The posts at our marinas are either 30A 120VAC or 50A 120VAC. Out on the
megadock where the big boys tie up their ships, there's bigtime 240VAC at
amazing amperage, but the boats in this thread are all single phase 120VAC,
mostly 30A, little sailboats and power boats with minimal AC power systems,
not megayachts or ships-of-the-line, so your point is....well....pointless?