posted to rec.boats.electronics
Pascal

Default A question about NMEA, AIS and Raymarine

Hi Kees,

I had made a initial look in the site, it is fantastic, not only
because the AIS. I think that the picture you put there is gold. This
picture only, with your comments from this discussion, must convince
anyone to buy a AIS asap. I will take look in it more often.

Thank You very much

Best Regards

Pascal Goncalves
s/v Navstar
Salvador/BA-Brazil
S 13 00/W 038 27

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Kees Verruijt

Jack Erbes wrote:
Kees Verruijt wrote:

Take a look at a picture I took on-board last year.

http://tinyurl.com/hpozz (small)
http://tinyurl.com/ebmda (full size)

Look carefully at the left part, which is chart overlayed with radar,
MARPA and AIS enabled. You'll see that the gray tail behind AIS target
A70 is much more straight than the green tail behind the MARPA target
MR8.

Kees,

I think we need a link directly to the images, I seem to be getting to
an opening page but don't know where to find the photo. You might be
able to see things we are not because of cookies stored on your machine.

On some web pages, especially those using frames, I find it is sort of
difficult, if not impossible, to send a link to one of images or frames.

Jack

Hi Jack, Pascal,

The site is running a content management system that sometimes thinks it
needs to send everyone back to the start page. Trying it again usually
fixes it. Sorry about this, but I haven't found a fix for this yet.

I just tried the deep-linked tinyurl, and it happened for me as well the
first time; trying it again did indeed fix it.

I'll try to fix this asap.

--
Kees
posted to rec.boats.electronics
John Proctor

On 2006-05-16 21:05:34 +1000, "Pascal" said:

Thank You very much John,

The autopilot S1G is standard, that is, the Gyro and S1G was installed
together the same time. There is no external gyro.

Based in your response, I understand that:

1) The Gyro is already sending info to C80 Radar Marpa using the S1G
SeaTalk connection so it do not use the NMEA port

The gyro mearly sends heading data. All the MARPA calculation is done
in the C80. I don't recall what type of vessel yours is but the update
rate shouldn't make a big difference. We get a few Benneteau boats (423
and 476) down here with the standard corepacks as well as radar and the
overlay is not too bad. But we don't get the traffic you Europeans get
either ;-)

2) If the VHF/DSC (wich is Raymarine too) is connected to NMEA out port
of C80, I can change this, and connect the VHF NMEA In to the NMEA Out
of the S1G, as the S1G receives Gps data from NMEA In from a garmin
GpsMap276C.

This is correct?

Yes you will get the appropriate info for getting a position for the
radio. I was assuming you were using one of the ICOM VHF radios. We
have done several installs with no problems.

Another question: if the VHF/DSC radio is Raymarine, it do not talks
SeaTalk? Could it receive gps data from the Raymarine Gps smart
antena directly?

Can't answer that as the Raymarine VHF is not type approved in
Australia. I've only seen one and that was on a boat built in the UK.
Check the manual. If it is Raymarine 54E it only accepts NMEA and if it
is the 240E it accepts NMEA and seatalk according to their current
catalogue.

Depending on how complex the installation is and what sources and sinks
you have for NMEA data you may want to take Meinderts advice and look
at a mux. If it is relatively simple you may not need one. I really
can't comment without a complete picture of what you have as a config
and what all the intended applications are.

--
Regards,
John D Proctor

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Pascal

Thank You very much again John,

I will report here the results of our installation as the boat is not
mine, it is from a friend, perhaps we can do this thing this weekend.

Best Regards

Pascal Goncalves

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes

Kees Verruijt wrote:

snip
Hi Jack, Pascal,

The site is running a content management system that sometimes thinks it
needs to send everyone back to the start page. Trying it again usually
fixes it. Sorry about this, but I haven't found a fix for this yet.

I just tried the deep-linked tinyurl, and it happened for me as well the
first time; trying it again did indeed fix it.

I'll try to fix this asap.

That got it. My problem was that I was stumbling around trying to find
it, the 2nd or 3rd try on the same link brought it up.

Great info, I was curious to see how it looked and worked.

Thanks

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Kees Verruijt

Kees Verruijt wrote:
Pascal wrote:
Ok but am installing an AIS which could overlay the targets on the
radar screen and calculates the CPA/TCPA; this turns the standard Marpa
function of the RADAR almost superfluous?

As long as the other ships have AIS, yes.

Take a look at a picture I took on-board last year.

http://tinyurl.com/hpozz (small)
http://tinyurl.com/ebmda (full size)

It seems the CMS running the site doesn't like the tinyurls so here are
the full links:

http://www.scanner391.net/e107_plugi...album=35&pos=3

http://www.scanner391.net/e107_plugi...282&fullsize=1

Alternatively, go to http://www.scanner391.net then choose Gallery -
scroll down to Technical Details - AIS.

Look carefully at the left part, which is chart overlayed with radar,
MARPA and AIS enabled. You'll see that the gray tail behind AIS target
A70 is much more straight than the green tail behind the MARPA target MR8.

Btw, yes the ship represented by A70/MR8 did almost hit MR7. They hadn't
seen each other apparently (this was in THICK fog on the middle of the
North Sea). MR7 did a pretty wild maneuver at about 200 yards from MR8.
Unfortunately I didn't take a screendump of that! I later asked the
skipper of MR8 whether he'd seen or heard anything. He said he had not,
and that he maintained careful radar watch: he checked the screen every
10 minutes but didn't see anything...

--
Kees

Jack Erbes wrote:

Great info, I was curious to see how it looked and worked.

Glad you got to see it.

BTW you weren't the only one, 300 hits on this page sofar today...

--
Kees
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Pascal

Hi John,

Your help was fundamental in this project, as we have made the SR161
AIS installation on the Raymarine C80 today and the thing is working
without problems. All that you say is true:
a) The S1G does not have any NMEA links to C80 and as you have said,
the manual says that the internal gyro of S1G sends the info to C80
using the SeaTalk.
b) Glad to know that the Marpa and the Overlay do not suffer to much,
using SeaTalk instead of NMEA, but I am not from Europe, we live in
Brazil and the ships trafic here is much much smaller, and the weather
too is much more fair (no fog here, only rain) so the Radar Marpa and
Radar Overlay performance is not a problem to us. Our boats are 36 ft
sloop cruiser/racer type, made here in Brazil.
c) The VHF/DSC radio is a ICOM IC-M402, not a Raymarine as I was
supposing, and my friend decided to cut the NMEA cable from it and
connect it to the standard serial SR161 AIS cable. Here DSC is totally
unsupported by in land authorities , the only use for this would make a
emergency call to a IMO ship at sea, because inside the bay all ships
talks by std VHF channel 16.

Glad to know you are from Australia, my son lives in Sidney for more
than 5 years now, he is married with an Australian girl and work for an
American Consulting Company named "Gartner Group"; he likes to sail
too, and eventually, makes some bare boat charts in Sydney, but he
prefers Bavarias Yachts with more than 36 ft...

Thanks You very much and thanks too, to all people here which kindly
reply my question and offered help. Now we go play with AIS..

Best regards

Pascal Goncalves
Salvador-BA/BRAZIL
S 13 00/W 038 27
Aratu Iate Clube
s/v NavStar

On 2006-05-18 12:12:39 +1000, "Pascal" said:

Hi John,

[...]

Pascal,

Glad to help.

I sold my boat just before Christmas it was a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey
37.2. so I'm suffering withdrawl symptoms;-)

I am a Canadian who took 31 years to work out he didn't like ice and
snow (slow learner I guess). I spent 31+ years in the IT&T industry and
I now keep busy installing marine electronics and electrical systems. I
have a B Sc in Electrical Engineering too.

I live in Melbourne but did live in Sydney from 1977 to 1995 when I
relocated down to where I am now. Good luck with the sailing and enjoy.

--
Regards,
John D Proctor

John Proctor wrote:
I am a Canadian who took 31 years to work out he didn't like ice and
snow (slow learner I guess). I spent 31+ years in the IT&T industry and
I now keep busy installing marine electronics and electrical systems. I
have a B Sc in Electrical Engineering too.

I live in Melbourne but did live in Sydney from 1977 to 1995 when I
relocated down to where I am now. Good luck with the sailing and enjoy.

Sounds good, any place down there for more people? :-)

--
Kees