posted to rec.boats.electronics
Norm

Default Furuno FAX-208a Manual or Op Instructions Wanted

I just picked up a Furuno Fax-208A, and would like to check it out and
make sure it runs OK.

Any idea where I can find a manual, online or order it?

Or, Can someone give me the basic setup to receive a fax. I can hook
it up OK.

Thanks,

Norm

posted to rec.boats.electronics
AndyK.

"Norm" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just picked up a Furuno Fax-208A, and would like to check it out and
make sure it runs OK.

Any idea where I can find a manual, online or order it?

Or, Can someone give me the basic setup to receive a fax. I can hook
it up OK.

Thanks,

Norm

Right he

http://www.furuno.com/Furuno/Doc/0/0...X208%20OME.pdf

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lynn Coffelt

"Norm" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just picked up a Furuno Fax-208A, and would like to check it out and
make sure it runs OK.

Any idea where I can find a manual, online or order it?

Or, Can someone give me the basic setup to receive a fax. I can hook
it up OK.

Thanks,

Not too much help, but be sure to read a little at:
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/radiofax.htm
to be sure you are trying to receive something at the proper time of day,
and at the correct frequency. Some of the 208a's preprogrammed frequencies
will probably be out of date, but you can program the correct frequency in
manually. (I could never do it by the book, just a matter of trying until
you figure out the dastardly algorithms Furuno uses.)

Don't even think about trying to print until you are sure you are receiving
a good signal, which is easy to identify once you've heard it, just by
listening to the audio. If the "scrape, scrape, scrape" sound isn't loud and
nearly static free, results will not be impressive. At all.

Old paper (dry and crisp) won't work at all. Must be fresh out of the sealed
package, wet and limp, to work right. I just don't know if old paper can be
rejuvenated or not, never tried it.... but just might be possible.

Have no manual, and it's been a long time, so can't be an awful lot of help.

Old Chief Lynn

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lynn Coffelt

"AndyK." wrote in message
. ..

"Norm" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just picked up a Furuno Fax-208A, and would like to check it out and
make sure it runs OK.

Any idea where I can find a manual, online or order it?

Or, Can someone give me the basic setup to receive a fax. I can hook
it up OK.

Thanks,

Norm

Right he

http://www.furuno.com/Furuno/Doc/0/0...X208%20OME.pdf

WOW! AndyK,That's great!

Old Chief Lynn

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Eric Fairbank

The 208a uses thermal paper, not the wet limp stuff. You must be thinking
of the Alden fax's.

Eric

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message
Old paper (dry and crisp) won't work at all. Must be fresh out of the
sealed
package, wet and limp, to work right. I just don't know if old paper can
be
rejuvenated or not, never tried it.... but just might be possible.

Have no manual, and it's been a long time, so can't be an awful lot of
help.

Old Chief Lynn

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lynn Coffelt

"Eric Fairbank" wrote in message
. ..

The 208a uses thermal paper, not the wet limp stuff. You must be

thinking
of the Alden fax's.

Oops, you are right!
See, I told you it had been a long time!
Lynn (hiding face in shame)

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Norm

Thank You Lynn and Andy, I did find the manual on Furunos "older
products" site. My boat is on the hard now, but I think I will check
it out sitting in the cockpit. I'm not sure I will install it if it
works. I have HF and Pactor II, so using Airmail and Grib files I can
get pretty good weather info.
We plan to cross to the UK next year. Maybe the 208a would be the
right thing to have with their rapidly changing weather??

Thanks again,

Norm

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon Wedman

"Norm" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank You Lynn and Andy, I did find the manual on Furunos "older
products" site. My boat is on the hard now, but I think I will check
it out sitting in the cockpit. I'm not sure I will install it if it
works. I have HF and Pactor II, so using Airmail and Grib files I can
get pretty good weather info.
We plan to cross to the UK next year. Maybe the 208a would be the
right thing to have with their rapidly changing weather??

Thanks again,

Norm

I have been trying out SeaTTY on my laptom with my Icom M600. I have got
pretty good results. One of the advantages to using the laptop is that you
can use photo editing software to clean up the image. I've used Paint Shop
Pro to get rid of speckles, etc.
SeaTTY is a free download but you'll have to buy Paint Shop Pro.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Eric Fairbank

I also use this program and it works well but it is not freeware. You can
download it and try it for 30 days. After that, you must register it. Only
costs $35 though. It also works with RTTY and NAVTEX. Just run audio out
from your HF to the computer sound card input.

Eric