posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jean-Pierre Trolet

Default Garmin 172C cannot display current position in text format

Hello,

I have e-mailed the problem to their tech support but as I read here
and there that they never answer....

In the owner's manual p.26 Garmin gives the list of data that can be
displayed in text format through alphabetical order :
- ....
- POINTER
- POSITION
- SONAR
- SPEED
- ....

When you actually run through the scrolling list you find

- ....
- POINTER
- SONAR
- SPEED
- ....

So there is no way to display the current position coordinates on any
page except by entering Mark and then deleting the waypoint thus
created, which is stupid.
Has anyone met the problem ?

A GPS that cannot display the position , that sounds downright
incredible !!

I checked that I have the latest software version : 2.50

Friendly
Jean-Pierre TROLET

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

(Jean-Pierre Trolet) wrote in news:444b9b63.5696249
@news.wanadoo.fr:

A GPS that cannot display the position , that sounds downright
incredible !!

OOps....(c;

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Pascal

Well, I think that you are trying to display the position (lat/Long) in
one of fields of one or more pages, that is true? But I assume that you
have the position information (Lat/Long) at the statistics page, or at
last in the satellite/GPS page, or not?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
William Andersen

Garmin's always answered my emails within a couple of days.
In the meantime, did you use the Comm Tab of the Main Menu to set Com 1 and
Com 2 to NMEA In/NMEA Out?

On 23 Apr 2006 18:02:58 -0700, "Pascal" wrote:

Well, I think that you are trying to display the position (lat/Long) in
one of fields of one or more pages, that is true? But I assume that you
have the position information (Lat/Long) at the statistics page, or at
last in the satellite/GPS page, or not?

No , in none of those pages. I know it seems incredible but there is
an obvious inconsistency between the equipment and the owner's manual
, so I suspect a rough bug in the software !
Jean-Pierre

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jean-Pierre Trolet

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 22:26:35 -0700, "William Andersen"
wrote:

[...]

If the tech support really answers , that is reassuring , but I am
still waiting.
I do not understand the connection between the NMEA in/out and the
display of the GPS. Of course you can display the position in text
format on a laptop that decodes NMEA but that's not my purpose.
Jean-Pierre
posted to rec.boats.electronics
William Andersen

If you haven't heard from Garmin yet, you should call them or return the GPS
to where you bought it. POSITION should appear in that list and you should
be able to display your latitude/longitude on the Map page and probably some
other pages, too.

wrote:

[...]

wrote:

[...]

You are right. I think I'll call Garmin if they don't reply to my mail
.. I will not return it to the provider since it is was ordered online
from compass.com in GB and I can't expect any help from them. Those do
not seem to know what they sell : they sent me an internal aerial type
whereas I had ordered an external aerial type : the explanation they
gave is that the ad on their site had a mistake in it . If you try to
order a 172C from their site you can get anything but what you've
ordered (and do not trust their references , they are useless and
false) . Appalling !!
Jean-Pierre TROLET
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Pascal

No , in none of those pages. I know it seems incredible but there is
an obvious inconsistency between the equipment and the owner's manual
, so I suspect a rough bug in the software !
Jean-Pierre

I have made download of the 172C manual and seems to me that the
software is very different from my 276C; normally, all Garmin units (
and I had about 12 of them) displays compulsory the Position in the
"Satellite Page" but not the 172C, which is very extraneous.

Anyway, page 26 says that one fields can be set to Position and if this
is not happen in your unit, shure is a software problem.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Pascal

Jean Pierre,

I have noted the following NOTE in Page 26 of the manual:

NOTE: COMPASS, HIGHWAY, POSITION, and WATER TEMP .. are only available
on LARGE or HUGE sized Data Fields ..

The data field you is trying to setup to display of POSITION is Large
or HUGE sized?

Anyway, this appears to be thing of a crazy programmer ....

Pascal