posted to rec.boats.electronics
hhh

Default At sea internet

What's the fastest internet connection available away from the dock? I've
used KVH F-33 before but it's so slow even with their accelator program.
Is there anything better out there?

Ken
posted to rec.boats.electronics
luc

how does KVH F-33 work? I'm curious about your situation.

I've got wi fi on the dock, but it's lousy. I'm told by my service
provider I can buy a gadget, probaby an antenna, or amplifier, for
another $150. Then I saw plans for a Cantenna, made from a tin can,
but my laptop hasn't got any jack for an antenna. Know anything about
that?

Luc

posted to rec.boats.electronics
RW Salnick

Many wireless PCMCIA cards have a (very small!) jack for an external
antenna. There is really no practical and effective way to add an
antenna to an internal wireless card - you are going to have to spring
for a new card. Of course you will be looking for one with an antenna
jack, but also pay attention to the emitted power from the card. These
apparently come either as 20 milliwatts or 300 milliwatts. More is
better if your problem is getting the base station to hear your signal.

When you buy an external antenna, get one which is either two or 3
stacked verticals (two or three straight sections of wire, separated by
coiled sections). Then insert this antenna at the focal point of a
parabolic reflector: http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/

This combination will get you gain into the 20db range.

bob
s/v Eolian
Seattle

luc wrote:
how does KVH F-33 work? I'm curious about your situation.

I've got wi fi on the dock, but it's lousy. I'm told by my service
provider I can buy a gadget, probaby an antenna, or amplifier, for
another $150. Then I saw plans for a Cantenna, made from a tin can,
but my laptop hasn't got any jack for an antenna. Know anything about
that?

Luc

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

Many wireless PCMCIA cards have a (very small!) jack for an external
antenna. There is really no practical and effective way to add an
antenna to an internal wireless card

Entirely not true. Most internal cards have a connector that wires them up
to an internal antenna. It's a matter of splicing in a new connector to
allow using an external cable. If you're handy with a soldering iron and
wiring then it's really not that difficult.

It may, however, be better to use a card that already supports one.

OR use a wireless bridge that lets you repeat the detected signal to one
your built-in card can use.

- you are going to have to spring
for a new card. Of course you will be looking for one with an antenna
jack, but also pay attention to the emitted power from the card. These
apparently come either as 20 milliwatts or 300 milliwatts. More is
better if your problem is getting the base station to hear your signal.

When you buy an external antenna, get one which is either two or 3
stacked verticals (two or three straight sections of wire, separated by
coiled sections). Then insert this antenna at the focal point of a
parabolic reflector: http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/

This combination will get you gain into the 20db range.

Which may be entirely illegal according to the FCC limits. While this may
not bother some folks be aware that the regs don't allow you to just tack on
different antennas without the *whole setup* having been approved for it.

That and using a parabolic antenna on a boat that's moving might be a bit
pointless (pun intended!).

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wet-n-Wild Bill

FYI

I use the new 3G HSDPA wireless from Sierra wireless Aircard 860 with my
laptop over the Cingular GSM network for unlimited data at 60$/momth.

What i like about it: 1- My laptop can surf the net off the boat at home or
on the road. I'm not stuck with a cost for the boat only. i can take this
system with me when I travel by airplane too 2- I can downlod NOAA weather
info and charts, 3- unlinited email access. 4-speed is like broadband when
in metroplian areas like Seattle. 5-Flat rate for use when linked to
Cingular GSM 6- i can listern to web radio.

Dislikes: When crossing into Canada the rate is .01cents per kilobyte (ok
for email and weather by cost alot when getting NOAA Charts) 2 - Cannot use
when line of sight to land is lost when in the Pacific (OK in puget sound)

I have had the NEW 3G system for 4 months befor i use Sprint PCS Data Card
for the last 3 years, Sprint does not use GSM so i could not use the system
in Canada or overseas. And sprint cost was $99/Month.

Bill
"Bill Kearney" wrote in message
[...]

John

lets back up a minute. first how much are you willing to spend? what size
vessel is it going on? what is the space available? what is the usage, i.e.
email, internet surfing, both or more? these questions will determine and
weed out unneeded answers. for instance if your dollars are tight and the
vessel is small $500 (approx) can get a product that works well about 1 mile
from the dock. now if money is no option and its a large vessel i can tell
you about a high-speed internet system that will support VoIP,
Video-Conferencing, and internet surfing at the same time while offshore.
John
ShipBoard Networks
9548010951

"Wet-n-Wild Bill" wrote in message
[...]

"John" wrote in
:

[...]

The boat is 45 ft. and the budget is $4,000. to $5,000. for email and
surfing.
posted to rec.boats.electronics
hhh

..
The boat is 45 ft. The budget is $4000 to $5000 for email and surfing

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

Anyone here, at any price, succeeded in doing what I thought to be a
manifestly simple, analogous to HAM repeaters, job of being able to surf
wifi-ish (no wire from my laptop to whatever gear) from my deck or dink or
wherever I am within range of my mast top, seeing the available (with
amplification and better antenna) shore points as amplified by the setup,
and choosing from those available without having to manually (over url)
configure the hardware each time?

I'm going to setup just this type of rig sometime this summer. I'm going to
use an old PC laptop running linux to do it. The goal being to pick up a
shore-based WiFi network and "repeat it" to on-board PCs. The only
"complicated" part is how to tell this router PC to connect to the on-shore
access points. If you're willing to do the 'command line dance' it's just a
matter of knowing which wlanconfig setups to use. But I seem to recall
seeing a couple of web page setups that could be used to do it as well. As
in, surf from the on-board PCs to a server page on this router and use that
to tell it which of the detected access points to use and start routing.
I'll certainly summarize whatever progress I make with it but it'll be at
least another two weeks before I can get back into it.

Meanwhile, if you've got an old laptop that's got at least 64mb of RAM and a
Pentium 233mHz then take a look at getting it setup with "Damn Small Linux"
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org

-Bill Kearney

posted to rec.boats.electronics
purple_stars

Bill Kearney wrote:
[snip]
[...]

this is basically what i'm doing with a laptop too. i have a laptop in
my "vehicle prototype" system i've been working on that is running
fedora core linux. it constantly monitors gps, listens for wifi access
points, etc, and i'm in the middle or programming it to control the
icom radio using ci-v. it's also online using evdo whenever it is
available. just today i wrote a parser for the frequency data that
comes out of the icom and i'm getting ready to start the code to set
the frequency, etc. the end result, i hope, will be that i can use the
linux cron to automatically tune the radio to pick up weatherfax
transmissions, automatically transfer email over HF, and that type of
thing, sort of a general purpose gateway. any kind of relay/control
stuff is going through a seperate PIC processor that communicates with
the laptop via the PIC's usart/rs-232. it has been a lot of fun to
fool around with and it is all working really well.