posted to rec.boats.electronics
b393capt

Default 2 GPS antenna's overkill ?

I am having two E-80's installed, one at helm and one at navstation
(with radar & GPS attached).

Can I make a good case for installing a 2nd GPS antenna at the helm
E-80? Would it even be useful, considering I might have to change
settings, etc. to use it ... when it would be easier to gran the
handheld GPS in the boat as backup?

Dan

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"b393capt" wrote in
oups.com:

Can I make a good case for installing a 2nd GPS antenna at the helm
E-80?

There's two on Lionheart. One is the Raymarine Raystar 120 hooked to the
RL-70CRC color radar's plotter and the other is the old trusty Garmin 185
chart plotter right next to it. The antennas are safely tucked away
between the hand crank for the traveler and the port side of the hard top,
not out where the excitable crew will get a line wrapped around the domes
and tear them off inadvertently. They both work great through the
fiberglass hard top on the center cockpit.

There's usually 2 or 3 handhelds aboard, plus the one in the 406 Mhz EPIRB
in the ditch bag, just in case.

You can't have too many GPSs aboard, even the oldest ones made work great
with no selective availability to screw them.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Ed

3 is overkill... that is why I have 4 aboard.... and another for land
based activity.

back in the days when dinosaurs ruled the earth and GPSs were expensive
and Lorans where not accurate in the Bahamas, I lost my only GPS due to
a lightning storm on my first day of a long trip...I enjoyed trying to
do plots in 3-5 ft seas while going 20+ kts. We all survived and had a
great time but I now have 2 GPS plotters, one hand held plotter and an
additional GPS that came with this boat (I use it as a tide chart and
clock but it's there just in case the other three die)

BTW.. I ALWAYS have the hand held NOT hooked up to any power, etc just
incase I get into another lightning storm and loose my whole dash again.

Larry wrote:
"b393capt" wrote in
oups.com:

Can I make a good case for installing a 2nd GPS antenna at the helm
E-80?

There's two on Lionheart. One is the Raymarine Raystar 120 hooked to the
RL-70CRC color radar's plotter and the other is the old trusty Garmin 185
chart plotter right next to it. The antennas are safely tucked away
between the hand crank for the traveler and the port side of the hard top,
not out where the excitable crew will get a line wrapped around the domes
and tear them off inadvertently. They both work great through the
fiberglass hard top on the center cockpit.

There's usually 2 or 3 handhelds aboard, plus the one in the 406 Mhz EPIRB
in the ditch bag, just in case.

You can't have too many GPSs aboard, even the oldest ones made work great
with no selective availability to screw them.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
William Andersen

I keep a GPS in my pocket so I can check things, plan, etc without
disturbing anyone else. My original GPS 12 is mounted at the wheel and wired
to my radar and backup VHF radio. My newer GSP 198C is at the passenger seat
and wired to the primary VHF. The passenger seat serves as
communications/navigation station. Redundancy is nice.
http://members.cox.net/wgander/Passengerside.htm

"Ed" wrote in message
3 is overkill... that is why I have 4 aboard.... and another for land based
activity.

back in the days when dinosaurs ruled the earth and GPSs were expensive
and Lorans where not accurate in the Bahamas, I lost my only GPS due to a
lightning storm on my first day of a long trip...I enjoyed trying to do
plots in 3-5 ft seas while going 20+ kts. We all survived and had a great
time but I now have 2 GPS plotters, one hand held plotter and an
additional GPS that came with this boat (I use it as a tide chart and
clock but it's there just in case the other three die)

BTW.. I ALWAYS have the hand held NOT hooked up to any power, etc just
incase I get into another lightning storm and loose my whole dash again.

Larry wrote:
"b393capt" wrote in
oups.com:

Can I make a good case for installing a 2nd GPS antenna at the helm
E-80?

There's two on Lionheart. One is the Raymarine Raystar 120 hooked to the
RL-70CRC color radar's plotter and the other is the old trusty Garmin 185
chart plotter right next to it. The antennas are safely tucked away
between the hand crank for the traveler and the port side of the hard
top, not out where the excitable crew will get a line wrapped around the
domes and tear them off inadvertently. They both work great through the
fiberglass hard top on the center cockpit.

There's usually 2 or 3 handhelds aboard, plus the one in the 406 Mhz
EPIRB in the ditch bag, just in case.

You can't have too many GPSs aboard, even the oldest ones made work great
with no selective availability to screw them.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"William Andersen" wrote in news:Qv6Tf.136677
$kp3.132566@fed1read03:

http://members.cox.net/wgander/Passengerside.htm

Wow! I'm putting Bill in for "Best Equipped Bayliner on the Planet!"....
(c;

Does the outboard have enough charge capacity to run all this equipment
at once and still recharge the batteries? Most outboards only put out 7
to 12 amps, tops.

Everytime I see a CG Aux boat, I have a flashback that just made me
cringe from the public boatlanding next to Duncan's Boat Harbor on the
Ashley River in Charleston.....

I had come back to the boat landing after a hard day laying about in the
river with a bunch of teenaged girls (and their boyfriends, dammit) in my
Sea Rayder jetboat. The boat was tied up on the back side of the
floating dock where the powerboaters stayed away because it was only 2'
deep.

Seeing the long line waiting to use the 3-lane ramps, I decided to wait a
little to let the logjam of boat trailers go down. The girls were happy
sunning themselves on the seats and beanbags in my boat and the guys
seemed happy as the food and coke hadn't run out in the electric cooler.

I stood up on the fixed dock overlooking the launching ramp when this
nice cabin cruiser, probably 25-27' with a cuddy cabin, all decked out
like Bill's CG Cruiser with lights and CG Aux signs full of old geezers
in CG blues backed down from the floating dock and looped around for a
run at the launching ramp where their trailer was backing down for their
turn.

The idiot backing their truck stopped the trailer SHORT of putting the
wheels in the water! Only the back tip of the trailer was in the river.
This ramp is NOT steep, at all. A spring high tide sometimes runs over
the top of it into the parking lot. Seeing the truck stop, Captain Klutz
runs the throttle of BOTH big outboards pushing this cabin cruiser up to
2/3rds throttle and runs in for the trailer. WHAT WAS HE THINKING?!!
These are the CG Auxiliary guys that teach the damned boater course, for
Christ's sake! Just before the bow of the big cruiser touches that end
roller 3" underwater, there's this big "CRUNCH", the sickening sound of
faux-pas fiberglass gelcoat crashing into slime-covered solid concrete.

Having hit the ramp and being kept from the trailer, HE DOES IT AGAIN!
This time, same "CRUNCH", they decide to back the trailer a little
farther into the water so he can heave the bow up onto the end roller.

ARRRGHHH! Everyone on the dock, other boaters and crabbers waiting their
turns are all shaking their heads. The keel of the cruiser is crushed!
You can see it. Captain Klutz shoves the throttles ahead to force it up
on the trailer, without hooking this very nice-looking electric winch to
the boat. Keerrrannngg! Fine stainless steel props, now driven DOWN by
the weight distribution change of the bow coming high out of the water
driving the stern in deep....must have hit the ramp, too!

I felt sick to my stomach.....Glad none of these jokers were the guys who
inspected the jetboat in Berkeley County for my pretty sticker.....yecch.