posted to rec.boats.electronics
Johny Looser

Default Source of supply form sliding weather proofing boots?

Hi!

We have some RF connectors that due to their location (mounted
against a bulkheak, and underneath a lip) are rather difficult to
weatherproof. I have seen a weather proof boot that wraps around a
cable, and can just slide up and down the length of the cable, whever
the connector needs to be serviced. It seems pretty slick. No more
need for time consununing weather proofing, and more importantly a
better seal from the environment. The boot is very similar to the
'Slippery snakes' some of us might have played with as childeren. I
realize my description is somewhat lacking, so here is my attempt at
ascii art.

/-----------------\
{ Slippery Boot }
\-----------------/
-----------------|+++++++++++++++|--------------------
RF Cable | RF Connector | 2nd RF Cable
-----------------|+++++++++++++++|---------------------
/-----------------\
{ Slippery Boot }
\-----------------/

Rather than just sliding along the cable, it 'rolls over itself'
So if I might illustrate the top section of the 'slippery boot' as it
moves down the line fro left to right....

Boot slides this way -------

this sect. moving this way -
^ /----------------------------------------\ ||
| { Slippery Boot } ||
| \________________________________________/ \/
--------

Has anyone else seen these before, or know where I can buy some. Also
does anyone have any experience using 'Good Stuff' for weather proofing.
Good stuff, is that brown spray on foam that is used a lot in the
home construction.

-Thanks for any and all help you can give

-Regards
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve Lusardi

I have had really good luck with rubber stretch tape that adheres to itself.
It's easy to apply and remove. It is not electrical tape. Although it can be
used as such. I believe 3M makes it.
Steve

--------

Has anyone else seen these before, or know where I can buy some. Also
does anyone have any experience using 'Good Stuff' for weather proofing.
Good stuff, is that brown spray on foam that is used a lot in the home
construction.

-Thanks for any and all help you can give

-Regards

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Johny Looser

Thank You Steve and Larry!

What I ussually do is apply two layers of self-vulcanizing 3M tape to
the connector, and then, two layers of electrical tape, and then a
coating of Scotch Coat (tm). It works pretty well if the connector is
in an easily accesable location. However in may case I have an Inmarsat
C connector is the recesed under a metal flange, and another connector
that connects in the corner of two bulkheads, so I can't wrap the tape
around the connector. I like Larry's idea, and I think it would work.
I still would like to find the 'slippery snake' though.

-Regards

--------