posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Victron Energy Powerman Transfer switch

Been looking at using the Powerman Series 0 transfer device. I've
looked at the wiring diagram at
http://www.victronenergy.com/Technic...manseries0.pdf
and been trying to get my head around the logic. The Powerman
datasheet
http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/...K-PowerMan.pdf
indicates that the transfer to gen set is approx 1 minute after
starting - which is exactly what I am after. However, I cannot see
that from the diagram.

I think the logic, transferring from shore to gen, goes like this:

Shore power is on. Contacts 21/22 in K2 are NC so are contacts 15/16
in T1, so A1/A2 coil in K1 is energised which has closed NO contacts
1-6 in K1, supplying power to the multis.

When gen set is started, voltage arrives at timer T1, A2 in K2 and T2.
T1 has a complete circuit and starts. It appears to be a 5 second
timer (5S). When it operates 15/16 T1 opens. This breaks the circuit
and coil A1/A2 in K1 de energises, allowing K1 contacts 1-6 to open
which closes 21/22 K1. When this happens, timer T2 starts - another 5
second timer. When it activates NO contacts 15/18 in T2 close,
completing the coil circuit A1/A1 in K2. The coil energises and closes
NO contacts 1-6 in K2 and opens NC contacts 21/22 in K2, thereby
ensuring safety and separating the 2 sources.

I cannot see where the 60 second delay is - unless T1 is adjusted to 60
seconds. I see no reason that T2 has to have any delay. I think I can
use a DPCO timer relay to activate both T1 and T2 contacts at the same
time - there will be a few 10s of milliseconds delay as coils
de-energise and energise.

Any comments????

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dennis Pogson

wrote:
[...]

Yes, stick to manual switching and avoid the delays.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wayne.B

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 08:53:57 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:

Yes, stick to manual switching and avoid the delays.

I'll second that motion.

Exactly what is the rationale for the complex automatic switching?

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Exactly what is the rationale for the complex automatic switching?

Why not?? - it is now simple and inexpensive with industrial contactors
and timers. It is also comvenient.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

With long leads going back to where ever. Actually, the simplest
system is one plug end and a socket for each supply. If Mrs S wants to
start the gneset to use the oven, she does need to traipes around the
vessel will a simple set up will do it for her.