posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
varnish

Default Mac GPSNavX

I wondered if anyone was using GPSNavX with a Mac? Any good? Did the
Mac take data from the GPS without too much problem?

Not much stuff for Mac Marine use out there - nice to see something like
this.

Also, I'm Europe based, and would have to use MAPTECH to get best
coverage. Any views on those?

thanks
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

"varnish" wrote in message
.uk...
I wondered if anyone was using GPSNavX with a Mac? Any good? Did the
Mac take data from the GPS without too much problem?

Not much stuff for Mac Marine use out there - nice to see something like
this.

Also, I'm Europe based, and would have to use MAPTECH to get best
coverage. Any views on those?

Have you been to the London Boatshow? I had GPSNavX running on a MacMini on
our stand, including Maptech charts of the British Isles.

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Rich Hampel

Ive been using GPSy Pro for my BBS charts. Unfortunately this shareware
progam is no longer being upgraded by the authors.
For vector charts, I have started to use MacENC, also a shareware
program that really 'blitzes' on a portable G4 Mac. Apple endorses (or
at least gave download info on their website) usage of MacENC. You can
download MacENC from the web. I dont know if the EU has the same
'free' download service for their BBS and Vector charts.

The 'problem' with the pre-G4 Macs for 'serial port' connection is that
Mac only used an 8 pin mini-Din connecter and the Windoze-world needed
a 9 pin Mini-DIN serial connector. All you need to do is leave the
ground connector in the miniDiIN 9 'float' and make an adapter for 8 to
9 miniDIN. The GPSy website has info on making your own
connectors/adapters if you are still using the serial ports instead of
USB for connection to your GPS.

For WeFAX, Im using a program called "multimode' which can direct
download HF: WeFAX, TTY, SitorB (for some Navtex) , CW, etc. This is a
program used by Mac enthusiasts who are High frequency Hams, etc.

hope this helps.

Rich Hampel wrote:

Ive been using GPSy Pro for my BBS charts. Unfortunately this shareware
progam is no longer being upgraded by the authors.
For vector charts, I have started to use MacENC, also a shareware
program that really 'blitzes' on a portable G4 Mac. Apple endorses (or
at least gave download info on their website) usage of MacENC. You can
download MacENC from the web. I dont know if the EU has the same
'free' download service for their BBS and Vector charts.

You're lucky to have these downloads. None on this side of the pond, but
I had an email from the MacENC people saying the GPSNavX will work with
Maptech charts which cover the UK and Europe, at a price. So if I'm
going down this path then it will have to be NavX

The 'problem' with the pre-G4 Macs for 'serial port' connection is that
Mac only used an 8 pin mini-Din connecter and the Windoze-world needed
a 9 pin Mini-DIN serial connector. All you need to do is leave the
ground connector in the miniDiIN 9 'float' and make an adapter for 8 to
9 miniDIN. The GPSy website has info on making your own
connectors/adapters if you are still using the serial ports instead of
USB for connection to your GPS.

I was wondering how to get the data out of the GPS and into the Mac. My
boat is still in the US, and I can't remember how the data comes out of
the Furuno GPS - I don't remember any special socket, I think there is a
connector strip. So I imagine I would have to make up a lead. My G4
TiBook doesn't have a serial port, but I have a USB/serial adaptor which
works fine, with my Iriidium anyway.

For WeFAX, Im using a program called "multimode' which can direct
download HF: WeFAX, TTY, SitorB (for some Navtex) , CW, etc. This is a
program used by Mac enthusiasts who are High frequency Hams, etc.

Yes, I've got that. used it all the way across the Atlantic last year -
great little bit of software.

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
varnish

Meindert Sprang wrote:

"varnish" wrote in message
.uk...
I wondered if anyone was using GPSNavX with a Mac? Any good? Did the
Mac take data from the GPS without too much problem?

Not much stuff for Mac Marine use out there - nice to see something like
this.

Also, I'm Europe based, and would have to use MAPTECH to get best
coverage. Any views on those?

Have you been to the London Boatshow? I had GPSNavX running on a MacMini on
our stand, including Maptech charts of the British Isles.

Meindert

Sorry to have missed the London boat show this year. Did you have a live
GPS running, or did you simulate? How do you get the data out of the
GPS into the Mac?

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Meindert Sprang

"varnish" wrote in message
k...
Sorry to have missed the London boat show this year. Did you have a live
GPS running, or did you simulate? How do you get the data out of the
GPS into the Mac?

I had both a simulation running as well as "live" data for some brief
moments. There is no GPS reception possible in ExCel, so I "connected" to
one of my MiniPlex-41BT bluetooth multiplexers which in turn got it's GPS
data from NemaTalker, an NMEA simulator running on a laptop. So actual data
was fed into the Mac over a bluetooth connection. You can also connect a
MiniPlex-41USB to a USB port on the Mac, which will produce a new com port
which you can select in GPSNavX. If you don't need a multiplexer, we have
serial-USB converters with the same chip and drivers as our multiplexers,
which simply work. Period. ;-)

Meindert

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Tamaroak

Another product is MacGPSPro. Some information I hve read indicates it's
the best, although it seems very similar to GPSNavX. I will buy one or
the other this week.

I'm hoping to print all the NOAA charts available for the Great Loop
with it, using the screen capture feature on my G4.

Any advice on this?

Capt. Jeff
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Rich Hampel

For the USB/serial port 'conundrm', I use: a USB serial bus to twin
serial port adapter by KeySpan ... sold in most Mac outlets in the USA.
Just plug it into the USB and it converts to serial port code
automatically.

www.keyspan.com

In article , varnish
wrote:

Rich Hampel wrote:

[...]

Alan Frame

varnish wrote:

I wondered if anyone was using GPSNavX with a Mac? Any good? Did the
Mac take data from the GPS without too much problem?

Not much stuff for Mac Marine use out there - nice to see something like
this.

Also, I'm Europe based, and would have to use MAPTECH to get best
coverage. Any views on those?

FWIW, if you've considered BlueChart[0]:
http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/corporate/011006.html

"Garmin Announces GPS Product Support for Mac OS X...

By the end of 2006, Garmin intends to have made all its popular hardware
and software applications Mac OS X compatible. This includes the ability
to load MapSource map data to Garmin units via a Mac, as well as
waypoint and trip planning applications. Additionally, the Garmin nRoute
application will allow Powerbook and iBook users to turn their laptop
into a powerful street navigation tool with Garmin's GPS 10 or GPS 18
sensors"

Yeah, I'm in the UK and faffed about with VirtualPC and USB-Serial
adaptors before I gave up and bought an old used PC *just to run
MapSource on*...

rgds, Alan
[0] I like BlueChart 'cos you can run it on a handheld *and* on a
computer - 'tho I don't do the latter.
--
99 Ducati 748BP, 95 Ducati 600SS, 81 Guzzi Monza, 74 MV Agusta 350
"Ride to Work, Work to Ride" SI# 7.067 DoD#1930 PGP Key 0xBDED56C5
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
andrew m. boardman

varnish wrote:
You're lucky to have these downloads. None on this side of the pond, but
I had an email from the MacENC people saying the GPSNavX will work with
Maptech charts which cover the UK and Europe, at a price. So if I'm
going down this path then it will have to be NavX

Note that MacENC will also work with any of the chart formats that
GPSNavX will use. Unfortunately, they list availability as "United
States" only, though personally I've had no trouble with it and Canadian
raster charts. (Not sure whether it's a marketing issue or a technical
issue.)

I personally use both; MacENC for general use, and GPSNavX because I
prefer its interface when I only want to deal with a single chart. The
latter is also faster. (Both aren't the greatest on an 800MHz G4 if one
doing much chart switching, but they'll do.)